Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
(12-15-2011, 02:28 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 02:10 AM)Doce Me Wrote:
(12-14-2011, 01:15 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Free will or free grace? Scripture says that men are born again, not of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God (John 1:13); that it is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy (Rom 9;16); the work of faith is the operation of God according to the exceeding greatness of his power, who works in man both to will and to do of his own good pleasure. (Phil 2:13)

[...] God is causing all the willing as it occurs, but He gives man the incredible gift of being a secondary cause, a cause being caused by Him, the primary cause.

Faith is not itself merited, but when the grace of faith is given it moves the will freely, so the will is the secondary cause of the acceptance.  Men accept faith freely.

Beautifully said, Doce Me. I am always looking for a concise way to present these teachings in a way that sums up the essence of the teaching without making it too complicated. This particular teaching is mysterious, indeed, but you have put it as well as anyone, in my opinion.

Thank you, INPEFESS.  I think you understand these things better than I do (and definitely have more scholarly knowledge).  But I try to simplify what I do know if only for myself.  I don't always succeed (and sometimes just  get it wrong), but I'm glad that this time it was helpful.

(12-15-2011, 02:28 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: I'm still looking for a succinct way to present the relationship between sufficient and efficacious grace, but, alas, I am still trying. My best attempt is still rather lengthy. Any ideas are welcome!

I should more closely read what you've said, for starters  :) , and your quotes, e.g. from Garrigou-Lagrange  I don't know much. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by Doce Me - 12-15-2011, 11:15 PM