Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
(12-21-2011, 07:24 PM)Martinus Wrote:
(12-21-2011, 06:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(12-21-2011, 06:45 PM)Martinus Wrote: I suppose a good way of summing up my problem with this would be to say that if election is unconditional, how is reprobation truly conditional?

Because election is directly willed by God and is truly merficul : "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." (Romans 9:16) : it's not earned or caused by us, lest we should boast in ourselves. Thus, no-one should glory but in Him who predestines, calls, justifies and glorifies His elect. (Romans 8:30)

On the other hand, reprobation is just permitted by Him, not directly willed. It's the other side of the same coin. Men are left to their own freedom to perish justly in their sins. It's conditional upon their own sins. No-one is damned if he dies in the state of grace.

I'm sure it must work. If it didn't, the Church would no doubt have declared it heretical.

But it sill seems to me to be the difference between God not willing to save certain people and God willing not to save certain people. They seem equivalent.

Election being conditional makes reprobation also seem more truly conditional.

If election were conditional on our foreseen merits then Scripture wouldn't have said "it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." (Romans 9:16)

Mercy is not earned, it's gratuitous.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by Vetus Ordo - 12-22-2011, 02:18 AM