Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
(01-09-2012, 04:53 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: Actually, I think I found a very satisfying and succint response in Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange's Thomistic synthesis, Reality:
Reality, Chapter 49: A Treatise on Grace; Article Four: Grace, Sufficient And Efficacious Wrote:3. Resistance to sufficient grace is an evil, arising from us, from our defectibility and our actual deficience, whereas our non-resistance is, on the contrary, a good, arising from ourselves as second causes, but from God as first cause.

Billuart sums up the matter: "Efficacious grace is required for consent to sufficient grace. But for resistance to sufficient grace the man's own defective will is sufficient cause. And since that resistance precedes the privation of efficacious grace, it is true to say that man is deprived of efficacious grace because he resists sufficient grace, whereas it is not true to say that he sins because he is deprived of efficacious grace." [1151].

What a beautiful mystery this is! Non-resistance to sufficient grace requires the effects of efficacious grace infused simultaneously with sufficient grace in such a way that even the act of resisting sin requires the effects of efficacious grace. But the resistance of sufficient grace, permitted by God's consequent will, is not caused by a deprivation of efficacious grace; rather, it is caused by our free misuse of the our free will whereby we freely turn away from the good offered in and made possible by sufficient grace.

Thanks.  I am glad I waited to you to respond with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange's explanation, and your own summary. Anything I was thinking of saying was much less clear and succinct! (and at least partly incorrect).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by Doce Me - 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM