Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens
Why does the Vatican have an observatory in the first place?

If there are aliens out there (which I do not believe) we should domesticate them and make them useful to us. 
I'm wondering to! I don't think you will see me preaching to rocks, trees, or animals.
(12-01-2011, 02:48 PM)InfinityCodaLMHSYF Wrote: Why does the Vatican have an observatory in the first place?

If there are aliens out there (which I do not believe) we should domesticate them and make them useful to us. 

To calculate the date of Easter and other calendar issues, originally.  Because priests are nerds, secondarily.
OK. I think we've got the date of Easter down pat.

Maybe they should be using these facilities to show images of the wonder of the heavens, to augment the Faith, or prove Gallileo wrong, rather than talk about searching for aliens.
(12-01-2011, 02:54 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Maybe they should be using these facilities to show images of the wonder of the heavens, to augment the Faith, or prove Gallileo wrong, rather than talk about searching for aliens.

Let's not be like the atheists here and take a small portion of what Br.Guy said and make out is if it is all he ever does, wasting his time. Religious Orders have produced scientists like no other for centuries and centuries. It is a legitimate calling. The Observatory is just one part of that. Br.Guy doesn't spend every waking office hour searching for ET life. He's probably thought about it once or twice, and now someone asked him because he is an authority on this and he gave his opinion. That's about the extent of it!
(12-01-2011, 02:58 PM)SPB Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 02:54 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Maybe they should be using these facilities to show images of the wonder of the heavens, to augment the Faith, or prove Gallileo wrong, rather than talk about searching for aliens.

Let's not be like the atheists here and take a small portion of what Br.Guy said and make out is if it is all he ever does, wasting his time. Religious Orders have produced scientists like no other for centuries and centuries. It is a legitimate calling. The Observatory is just one part of that. Br.Guy doesn't spend every waking office hour searching for ET life. He's probably thought about it once or twice, and now someone asked him because he is an authority on this and he gave his opinion. That's about the extent of it!

Thank you for this common sense!
To continue on St. Augustine, I think in this scenario, you could still keep the view of human nature that I quoted above, but the existence of intelligent aliens would obviously disprove the belief that all rational mortal animals are descended from Adam and Eve. For that, it seems like you would have to look more toward someone like St. Gregory of Nyssa, who sees human nature as being fundamentally altered as a result of Adam's sin because he was a sort of representative of humanity as a whole. Of course, St. Gregory also held the orthodox view that everyone is descended from Adam, so everyone receives his human nature from Adam, but I think his view of human nature and original sin would make it easier to accept the idea that there are rational animals who are not descended from Adam, which would be necessary if we were to find intelligent aliens.

By the way, the view of animals that some people are propounding here doesn't seem completely Biblical. Just look at some of the Psalms:

Psalm 148:7-10 Wrote:Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:
Fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word:
Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars:
Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl:

Yes, we have dominion over nature and we can use animals to provide for our needs, but they aren't just completely utilitarian objects made for nothing beyond fulfilling our needs.
(12-01-2011, 02:29 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 03:38 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 03:31 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: That, and there's just no proof for the existence of smart ET's.  No reason to believe there aren't animals in space though. 

Why would God make animals wander about in space?

Were not animals created for men? Does man not have dominion over all the beasts?

Why would God make animals wander about in the deepest sea beyond our reach (except for very recent technology that barely observes them)?

Why would God make bacteria that we couldn't observe until the discovery of relatively recent instruments?

Exactly.

Why would God make humans on a continent we couldn't reach until the discovery of Christopher Columbus?

He would, He did, who's to say there isn't more God created that we are yet to uncover?
How is that talking like an atheist? That's quite the half baked assumption.

Look, this article has been floating around for quite awhile. Why is the "ink" devoted to trying to prove Schpielgerg's "theories"?

Maybe these guys ought to learn how to talk to the presstitutes. Or better yet, not talk to them at all?

It's articles like this that have the ability to make atheists out of those who believe.
(12-01-2011, 02:54 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: OK. I think we've got the date of Easter down pat.

Maybe they should be using these facilities to show images of the wonder of the heavens, to augment the Faith, or prove Gallileo wrong, rather than talk about searching for aliens.

Are you fucking kidding?  That's what you're going with?  Proving Galileo wrong?