Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens
Although otherwise an excellent Traditionalist I think I recall Fr Faber meandering in one of his books about extraterrestrial creatures and their conversion.
This story reminds me of a fantasy book I saw called "Summa Elvetica", where a pseudo-Church sends a papal envoy to the elves to learn if they have souls in need of the Gospel. It's probably a better read than this scientist's odd reports, though.
"But you shall receive the power of the Holy Ghost coming upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and even to the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8
(12-01-2011, 03:53 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 03:41 PM)Laetare Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 02:41 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: All "creatures" ... where did He say that?

(12-01-2011, 02:49 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I'm wondering to! I don't think you will see me preaching to rocks, trees, or animals.

Sorry about the delay brothers...

My Douay-Rheims-Challoner has our Lord saying, in Mark 16:15:

Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Wrote:15 Et dixit eis: Euntes in mundum universum prædicate Evangelium omni creaturæ. - And He said to them: Go ye into the whole world and preach the gospel to every creature.

Wider array of meaning that we had first thought? It certainly puts St. Francis of Assisi in context! :) Wisdom is not in the Earth, nor in the sea; man knows not her ways.

Something to think about ... not sure what it means in our regular non-hypothetical-aliens-existing everyday worldy context.  Preach to birds and stones?

[Image: saint-francis-of-assisi-preaching-to-the-birds.jpg]
Oh I think this forum proves the existence of aliens...There is more than one space shot here...myself included  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The pope's astronomer is a looney anyway.

Who cares?
Because wrong or right people see him as speaking for the Church.
"Highly evolved extra terrestrial lifeforms may be living in space and would be welcomed into the church..."

## I believe they inhabit a planet called Earth, and are known as humans.
(12-02-2011, 11:34 AM)Richard C Wrote: This story reminds me of a fantasy book I saw called "Summa Elvetica", where a pseudo-Church sends a papal envoy to the elves to learn if they have souls in need of the Gospel. It's probably a better read than this scientist's odd reports, though.

## If they are proper Elves, the Tolkienian [so spelt] kind, they will have (or be ?) souls. OTOH, his Elves are pre-Christian, and pre-Abrahamic, by thousands of years.
(12-02-2011, 11:31 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The pope's astronomer is a looney anyway.

Vetus I don't think that's very fair. He has advanced degrees and is an authority in his field. He is also a Religious and for that he should be given respect. You may disagree with him here (and for all we know, he was misquoted, or was being flippant, etc) but to call him a looney based on this thread alone is not like you. If you have some insider knowledge, best to keep it inside and not gossip. If you are going by this thread alone, it seems that he isn't a looney and if he is, there's no need to call him names, just point out where you think he errors and let that be enough.