Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens
(12-03-2011, 03:46 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(12-03-2011, 11:08 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(12-03-2011, 02:47 AM)SPB Wrote:
(12-02-2011, 11:31 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The pope's astronomer is a looney anyway.

Vetus I don't think that's very fair. He has advanced degrees and is an authority in his field. He is also a Religious and for that he should be given respect. You may disagree with him here (and for all we know, he was misquoted, or was being flippant, etc) but to call him a looney based on this thread alone is not like you. If you have some insider knowledge, best to keep it inside and not gossip. If you are going by this thread alone, it seems that he isn't a looney and if he is, there's no need to call him names, just point out where you think he errors and let that be enough.

He's a looney because:

1) He believes the aliens are "out there" which is, frankly, a pathetic belief for any serious Christian intellectual to hold.

2) He looks like a nerdier version of Back to the Future's Doc Brown, if that's even possible.

[Image: Guy-Consolmagno_1718604c.jpg]

Admittedly, he appears to be quite the nerd, and I have seen him on television which seems to back up that impression.  But I hardly think it is charitable to jump from nerd to loon.

The evident Vetus offers could, at the most extreme, lead to him being called "heretical" or "unthinking" (I disagree and think these are not fair, but they could follow) and certainly he's a "nerd" (I think I'm a nerd too though, and don't think it's such a bad thing to be).

But "loon"?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Benedict XVI's astronomer: the Catholic Church welcomes aliens - by newyorkcatholic - 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM