A particular kind of scrupulosity...
I'm just wondering if anybody else suffers from the same kind that I do. Namely, blasphemous thoughts (without getting too detailed, sexually blasphemous). Mostly happens during prayer - especially praying the Rosary. Just pops into my head and there is nothing I can do but pray harder so that it goes away. It may not be a form of scrupulosity but it certainly feels like it. How do you deal with it etc? If I had a regular confessor I would obviously speak to him but I don't right now. It doesn't both me that much - well yes, it does bother me a lot, but I mean that it doesn't affect my spiritual life as much as other people say scrupulosity affects theirs. Just wondering if I'm alone here  ??? I wonder where this comes from - perhaps past sins, perhaps not.
(12-03-2011, 07:45 AM)SPB Wrote: I'm just wondering if anybody else suffers from the same kind that I do. Namely, blasphemous thoughts (without getting too detailed, sexually blasphemous). Mostly happens during prayer - especially praying the Rosary. Just pops into my head and there is nothing I can do but pray harder so that it goes away. It may not be a form of scrupulosity but it certainly feels like it. How do you deal with it etc? If I had a regular confessor I would obviously speak to him but I don't right now. It doesn't both me that much - well yes, it does bother me a lot, but I mean that it doesn't affect my spiritual life as much as other people say scrupulosity affects theirs. Just wondering if I'm alone here  ??? I wonder where this comes from - perhaps past sins, perhaps not.

Yep. Had it for ages. Absolutely disgusting and sickening thoughts. I'll pray for you, please pray for me.
(12-03-2011, 07:45 AM)SPB Wrote: I'm just wondering if anybody else suffers from the same kind that I do. Namely, blasphemous thoughts (without getting too detailed, sexually blasphemous). Mostly happens during prayer - especially praying the Rosary. Just pops into my head and there is nothing I can do but pray harder so that it goes away. It may not be a form of scrupulosity but it certainly feels like it. How do you deal with it etc? If I had a regular confessor I would obviously speak to him but I don't right now. It doesn't both me that much - well yes, it does bother me a lot, but I mean that it doesn't affect my spiritual life as much as other people say scrupulosity affects theirs. Just wondering if I'm alone here  ??? I wonder where this comes from - perhaps past sins, perhaps not.

This happens to me sometimes too. I've always just put it down to having filled my head with so much sexually explicit music, literature, films, etc. I'm sure all that stuff has left an impression on me. Perhaps age and hormones has something to do with it too? Or the fact that we live in a hyper-sexualized culture where nearly everything seems to have a sexual undercurrent.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it happens. If it happens to me I just shake myself out of it and re-focus.
Of course with anything else, the guidance from a traditionalist Priest is particularly important in this case.  With that in mind, it is my understanding that seeing in our mind's eye sins presented to us, assuming we are opening no doors and that are not of our own construction, are not our own fault.

This could be the devil and his fallen angels harassing, or this could possibly be a particularly keen and macabre insight to the nature of this valley of tears.  However, we need to order ourselves to our best ability to prevent these sorts of thoughts being presented to us and from the seat of our soul fight to expel harassment, especially in the context of holy figures.

Personally, I find dedication to some work critical to Christian life.  In the same manner that land left watched will become choked by weeds, so too will our minds become less fruitful if we open up to idleness.

Yeah, it happens to me sometimes. It's awful Visual/imaginative meditiation, such as imagining the scenes of the Rosary mysteries, is most prone to it as my imagination tends to run wild with every opportunity it gets. I just deal with it the way I deal with any kinds of sexual thoughts which creep into my imagination: just acknowledge that it's wrong and must be avoided, push it aside, and focus on something else. If it persists I just try to really focus my mind on something else that requires a lot of concentration, such as doing mathematical equations in my head. I find math and calculation so difficult that if I try to do sums and equations in my head it totally occupies all my thoughts, and other distractions just fall away. It's a good strategy - at least, for someone as mathematically challenged as me. It distracts me enough that sexual thoughts and fantasies usually go away so I can then refocus on prayer (or whatever else).

I don't know if it's a form of scrupulosity. As far as I'm aware it's normal, and always has been (at least, since the Fall). Human minds are extremely occupied by sexual thoughts and ideas. The key is to simply not consent to those thoughts when they arise; as soon as they appear, try to get rid of them. Sin occurs when you allow those thoughts to stay, and linger on them, focus on them, taking pleasure or satisfaction in them. That's giving consent of the will to something purely mental but which is quite immoral. Unfortunately that is one of the sins I find myself confessing most often.

As for the cause: fallen human nature is probably the biggest reason that this happens. It's not only a symptom of our modern sexualised society; even monks in the Egyptian desert 1700 years ago were having this problem. Although the great amount of sex in contemporary media can only be making the problem worse. In The Sayings of the Desert Fathers the abbots' usual response to monks who are troubled by their own sinful thoughts is simply "guard your heart" - even though you are constantly attacked by these thoughts, keep fighting them and don't let them in.
I have it too. And in my case it certainly derives from my scrupulosity.

I had a very good Confession over this just this past week.

One, the priest was very good and told me it was scrupulosity. So far so good, you have figured it out by yourself through the help of the Holy Ghost. I opened my confession by telling him that I think this may be the case. This helped the priest to guide me. I also told him I had thought in the past of not going to Confession because the act of Confessing these sins has the tendency to put the sin at the forefront of my mind.

He told me he had similiar things happen to him, in terms of scrupulosity while at seminary. No specifics. He also said these things, thoughts, feelings, can come upon a man at anytime. Even in prayer. He also said, you must decide if God is someone who is going to punish you or is He merciful. I answered both. He told me I did not have to answer, but he said of course He is just. But that we must trust in his mercy.

My penance was to go before the Crucifix over the Altar. Look at it and say ten times, Lord I trust in Your Mercy. And there was more to what I was to say, but I can't remember it in full at this moment, but that was the gist.

I also believe the one more earnestly prays and gets closer to God, the Devil will come and try to blow it for us. And the priest said as much as we don't know where these thoughts come from quite often. Also, I can't remember, but there are three criteria for a sin to be mortal. Full consent, etc. It escapes me know.

I will prary for you men and all who suffer these thoughts that are not called for or asked by us and ask you do the same for me.

I had the same problem for a while SPB. By ignoring it, it seems to be fading.
This happens to many of us.. much more when we're younger, I think.

Just tell the devil to get lost, or shake it off and refocus, like Aragon said.
"These thoughts are from the devil.
The fact that a person is grieved over these impure thoughts which go through his mind about the holy and sacred things,
this alone is already proof that they are not his own but, rather, come from the outside."
(12-03-2011, 12:20 PM)Cindy Wrote: "These thoughts are from the devil. The fact that a person is grieved over these impure thoughts which go through his mind about the holy and sacred things, this alone is already proof that they are not his own but, rather, come from the outside."

I agree. I just can't see how the human mind can conjure such thoughts on its own. They must come from the outside.

Rebuke the devil and he will flee.