How Can You Tell if You've Bruised a Rib?
Besides pain, obviously. ;) A couple of weeks ago I had a chest cold, and was coughing like a miner with black lung. Eventually, my rib area on my right side (side, back, and front) began to hurt- first only when I coughed, then when I breathed and moved the wrong way. A few days later, I made the mistake of sneezing (!), felt something sort of move back there in the rib section, and have been reallymiserable ever since. My aunt keeps telling me that I'd "better do something about this," and nags me to go to the doctor. I (and my uncle) think that I probably strained the little muscles between the ribs...but how can I tell if I've bruised one, as my aunt fears? Besides wrapping myself with an ace bandage and not lifting anything, is there something I should be doing?
Go see a doctor, or a physiotherapist, or an osteopath, or get an MRI scan.
And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Costochondritis
A friend of mine was diagnosed with this 3 years ago.
He even went to the emergency room because of the acute/sharp pain between certain ribs. (At times....then it went away)
MRI scans, vitamins, exercises,  nothing worked.

He finally got it to disappear permanently:
He quit drinking. (Cold turkey, I might add)
He was a habitual drinker....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costoch...is/DS00626
I've had bruised ribs twice and broken ribs once. They all felt about the same. You really need an x-ray to tell. In any case, it's important to breathe deeply (even though it hurts) and to cough once in a while (even though it really hurts) -- otherwise you're at risk of developing pneumonia.
I once had what I thought to be a bruised rib after sparring (muay thai) that kept up for about 9 months and flared up really bad every time it got hit (sparring three times a week at the time).
Went to the doc and found out it had been broken and because of continuous hits the bone had been unable to knit. Had to take some time off for it to heal. It healed quite weird, too.

Moral of the story; get things checked out cos they might be worse than you thought and by not getting em checked out you may be making bigger rpoblems for yourself!
I've bruised and broken my share of ribs riding rough stock, so you can be sure I just said a prayer for you!
I found it helpful to sleep in a lounge chair (actually that was the only way I was able get any sleep!)
Get better!
Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.
(12-14-2011, 08:27 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.
(12-15-2011, 02:17 AM)Hovannes Wrote:
(12-14-2011, 08:27 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.

This matches my experience. I found it easier to sleep sitting up in my recliner than in a bed. I was taking both morphine and oxycodone for a month or so -- and I did not like the side effects -- but I had an extreme case: 11 broken ribs and a broken collarbone and a punctured/collapsed lung. Fortunately, it all seemed to heal up OK eventually, although I don't think the shoulder will ever be quite the same.