How Can You Tell if You've Bruised a Rib?
(12-15-2011, 04:55 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 02:17 AM)Hovannes Wrote:
(12-14-2011, 08:27 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.

This matches my experience. I found it easier to sleep sitting up in my recliner than in a bed. I was taking both morphine and oxycodone for a month or so -- and I did not like the side effects -- but I had an extreme case: 11 broken ribs and a broken collarbone and a punctured/collapsed lung. Fortunately, it all seemed to heal up OK eventually, although I don't think the shoulder will ever be quite the same.

But what I'm saying is, other than pain killers and recovery, there is nothing they can actually do for you at a hospital for damaged ribs.
(12-15-2011, 05:41 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 04:55 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 02:17 AM)Hovannes Wrote:
(12-14-2011, 08:27 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.

This matches my experience. I found it easier to sleep sitting up in my recliner than in a bed. I was taking both morphine and oxycodone for a month or so -- and I did not like the side effects -- but I had an extreme case: 11 broken ribs and a broken collarbone and a punctured/collapsed lung. Fortunately, it all seemed to heal up OK eventually, although I don't think the shoulder will ever be quite the same.

But what I'm saying is, other than pain killers and recovery, there is nothing they can actually do for you at a hospital for damaged ribs.

Yes, I agree with that -- but you did imply (or somebody did -- I'm starting to lose track of who said what) that a punctured lung needs medical attention. So a person who has broken ribs (or suspects that he or she might) should probably see a doctor just to get that checked out. I did have a partially collapsed lung, and they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I could keep my oxygen saturation above 90 without a breathing tube -- and that took three days.