Conversation with Fr. James Gordon, FSSP, about Vatican II
(12-30-2011, 03:34 AM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(12-30-2011, 12:11 AM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: I thought he was ex-Coast Guard.  Not that it matters much to me.

His two brothers who are also FSSP priests (Frs. James and Dennis Gordon) are former Coast Guard. Fr. Terence Gordon is a former Marine officer.

And I'm an ex-bar room brawler, perhaps we should team up and take a cue from Athanasius and bring baseball bats ans straighten them out, once and for all. Fr. Pacwa quipped once concerning Athanasius, that it wasn't the right way for a Christian to do it, but it sure worked.

tim
(12-30-2011, 12:11 AM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: I thought he was ex-Coast Guard.  Not that it matters much to me.

His two brothers who are also FSSP priests (Frs. James and Dennis Gordon) are former Coast Guard. Fr. Terence Gordon is a former Marine officer.

I stand corrected.
(12-30-2011, 09:03 AM)Tim Wrote:

And I'm an ex-bar room brawler, perhaps we should team up and take a cue from Athanasius and bring baseball bats ans straighten them out, once and for all. Fr. Pacwa quipped once concerning Athanasius, that it wasn't the right way for a Christian to do it, but it sure worked.

tim

Ahh.  Mafioso style.  Count me in.
It seems "Brother" Peter Dimond misidentified which Father Gordon he was debating. The title says it's Father James Gordon, but the voice belongs to Father Terrence Gordon, whom both Caili24 and myself have been privileged to know.
I find this sick. Poor Father. My family is very close to him, and he is an absolute saint, as I'm sure many others on here can attest.
(12-30-2011, 01:00 AM)Vincentius Wrote: BOD is so rare that we don't actually know when it has been apoplied.  I don't know of any instance about anybody who actually didn't make it to his Baptism.  Do you?

There have been a few recorded instances of specific cases in which baptism of desire has been applied.

Pope Innocent II, basing himself on the authority of Sts. Ambrose and Augustine, taught that a priest who had died without the water of baptism would still be freed from original sin because of his desire for baptism (Denzinger 388). The same pope relays the fact that St. Ambrose taught the same regarding a man named Valentinian who died before receiving the baptism he desired to receive (ibid.).

Pope Innocent III also taught that an unnamed Jewish man received baptism of desire (Dz. 413). Although the man did not receive a valid baptism, because he tried to administer it to himself at the moment of death, his faith in the sacrament sufficed to cleanse him from original sin (ibid.).   

Those who reject baptism of desire will probably object that the above examples are not ex cathedra teachings. I will reply that the Council of Trent explicitly taught baptism of desire in a solemn definition. They will reply that Trent teaches that desire and water are needed, although it says desire or water. The debate will then  become pointless as we wrangle over the meaning of aut in Trent. Nevertheless, there you have it, two popes far removed from Modernism teaching baptism of desire.

"he is an absolute saint"

When asked if it is okay to attend the New Mass, this saint will say sure, it's valid

But is it okay?

The gravest consequence of the New Rite is, however, the dishonor of God. The iconostasis of silence has been dismantled. The Lord is called forth in a vulgar tongue, in words composed by His enemies. His Presence is ignored, His Person is demeaned. He is handled clumsily: if He falls, it does not matter. He is placed on unblessed tables, segregated from His friends. His garments have been reduced. He, The King of Kings in the state of Immolation, is placed in vulgar, primitive vessels. As the people stand or sit, and think that they are listening to a mere tale, He is crucified and dies before their eyes. He is raised above their heads: “Behold the Lamb of God!”: they stand and stare. He is delivered over to them: He, Almighty God, their Creator and their Highest Good. He is placed in their unclean hands. They receive Him into their darkened hearts, they brush Him off their hands, they trample over Him unwittingly, they take Him home. He is consigned to their caprice or their malice.  -Rorate Caeli blogspot
God bless you.
(12-30-2011, 09:47 PM)Albino_Luciani Wrote: "he is an absolute saint"

When asked if it is okay to attend the New Mass, this saint will say sure, it's valid

Assuming that what you say Fr. Gordon's response would be is true, he would probably be obliged to give this answer in accordance with the terms of Ecclesia Dei. Who knows what Fr. Gordon's opinion of the Novus Ordo is besides him and God. I do not doubt that he views it as a valid Mass, but beyond that it is presumption to assume anything more.

Although it is beyond my authority to canonize him, I will say that his homilies are sanctifying and he seems like a very good priest. It is a shame to see him disparaged by the previous poster and harrassed by unsolicited phone calls. May God bless him and send us more priests like him.
I second that. He and I may disagree concerning the SSPX, but he is a very holy priest. I would advise anyone to be careful when criticizing a priest directly. Even if the priest is up to his eyeballs in sin, it is more offensive to God for one to judge a priest, for He regards it as an attack on Himself.