Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
"With these wise words [Pope Pius XII, in Mystici Corporis Christi, 103] reproves both those who exclude from eternal salvation all united to the Church only by implicit desire, and those who falsely assert that men can be saved equally well in every religion.  But it must not be thought that any kind of desire of entering the Church suffices that one may be saved.  It is necessary that the desire by which one is related to the Church be animated by perfect charity.  Nor can an implicit desire produce its effect, unless a person has supernatural faith" (Holy Office, Suprema Haec Sacra, 8 August 1949).

Baptism of Desire involves the possession of divine faith and perfect charity by a non-baptized person.  It is something received.  The Baltimore Catechism states that one receives it when he loves God above all things and desires to do all that is necessary for salvation.  Very Rev. Tanquerey also states included in BOD is "the general resolution to fulfill all the precepts of God" (Manual of Dogmatic Theology, vol. II, p. 228.).

More than once I have seen the words of Christ, "He who loves me shall be loved by my Father," used in support of the efficacy of perfect charity (i.e. the Catholic Encyclopedia, Canon J.M. Hervé and the aforementioned manual).

The problem in your original post, Stubborn, is your assumption that your interpretation of Trent is correct while simultaneously the unanimous interpretation of Catholic theologians from the the time of Trent up to the eve of the Second Vatican Council, a span of nearly 400 years, has been incorrect.  Evidence long before and ever after the Council of Trent shows the Church's acceptance of BOD, so it seems highly unlikely that Trent infallibly ruled it out.  You should accept the possibility that your lone interpretation is the incorrect one.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by SouthpawLink - 12-29-2011, 12:51 PM