Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(12-30-2011, 02:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(12-30-2011, 02:22 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(12-30-2011, 02:11 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: You call it a "ridiculous non sequitur," I call it theological speculation that can bring about development of doctrine.

The principle being stated here is that the sincere desire for the reception of the sacrament suffices, hence "baptism of desire," "confession by desire," "eucharist by desire" and "marriage by desire." There's only 3 more to go and we'll have the entire order of the sacraments of the new law being able to be replaced, in certain circumstances, by the mere desire of receiving them. I don't see why not.
"Why not" is because the Church, for centuries has defined BOD as part of the Deposit of Faith, and not said word one about the things you mention, and never will.

Asking questions, even uneasy ones, about old issues is often how theology grows and develops, don't you think? Anyway, I gather you're not open to the application of the same principle ("desire thereof") to all seven sacraments.

It seems the exceptions are only found in those sacraments necessary for salvation. But one wonders, if one can receive baptism, confession and the eucharist, sacraments necessary for salvation for grown-ups, by desire alone, why not the remaining four? In the hypothetical scenario I posed earlier, the ordination of those men by desire would be necessary for the survival of the Church.

You ask a good question, Vetus, but it appears that the Church's theologians have not considered it.  If I'm mistaken, then I'd gladly be corrected.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by SouthpawLink - 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM