Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(12-31-2011, 02:27 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Loopholes in the sense that "water" in John 3:5 has to be explained away as a relative necessity. Not that such principle is in itself foreign to the interpration of Scripture, of course. Now, I'm not saying that BoD invariably leads to those distressing opinions about Jews and Muslims being saved in their religions, sometimes without even knowing it, but the fact remains that such opinions were common even before the Council and that all men who held them, also (and naturally) believed in BoD.

I always remember St. Thomas conjecturing something along the lines of God sending an angel to preach and baptise one of his elect that is lost somewhere in the jungle before missionaries could arrive at the spot. That seems to be the most correct interpretation of extraordinary circumstances: God providing all that is necessary to the elect, including baptism.

Vetus,
Yes, as it was noted earlier in the thread, receiving Holy Communion is a relative, not absolute, necessity of salvation.  And I need not point out that just because all who held a particular error (i.e. the non-necessity of divine faith) also held baptism of desire does not mean that all who hold baptism of desire believe in the aforesaid error.  I do not deny that St. Thomas' conjecture could be true and that's how apparently unbaptized men are saved.

Stubborn,
The Sacrament of Baptism is not superfluous, nor have I implied that it is.  You continually assert that the Universal and Ordinary Magisterium contradicts Trent, but you have yet to prove that, aside from your own -- and supported by no theologian (nor Pontiff) of note -- interpretation of Trent's canons.  It's you "contra mundum."  A contradiction that is so clear to you is no such contradiction to ages of highly-educated priests, among whose ranks include saints, Pontiffs and Doctors.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by SouthpawLink - 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM