Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
To get back to the OP.
This is where the problem highlighted (that of contradiction) makes it impossible to sincerely hold what the Church teaches on the subject of Baptism when there are two teachings in contradiction to each other.
Far from it being a lack of humility or stubbornness on ones part not to subject oneself to Church teaching, rather it's choosing between two teachings in apparent contradiction.

On one hand we have the OM teaching a nondefined doctrine (nondefined as in no clear definition on the term Baptism of Desire) and on the other hand we have several clearly defined dogmatic statements concerning the necessity of water Baptism and, to make matters worse, anathemas attached for those who would refuse to hold them as de fide. It's a matter of fear rather than pride or stubbornness that I hold to the dogmatic definitions over the OM nondefined proposal of BoD as I believe that even the OM is subject/subservient to the dogmatic definitions universally proclaimed to every member of the Church as that which must be believed.

Even the  CCC (for all ts faults) 1257 admits that, "The Church does not know of any means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude.."
If that be the case then how comes it that in a further paragraph it retracts this statement and says it actually does know of another means, that of BoD?
The CCC is clearly speaking of sacramental Baptism when referring to "no other means" as the very subject being discussed there is the sacrament of Baptism.

This is why I have the same problem mentioned in the OP.

Happy and peaceful new year to all on the forum.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by columb - 12-31-2011, 07:18 PM