Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(01-03-2012, 10:20 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-03-2012, 09:08 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: St. Ambrose actually recorded a case of baptism of desire pertaining to one of his catechumens.

Yes, I'm acquainted with that story. However, I wonder if St. Ambrose had some sort of divine revelation concerning the eternal fate of his catechumen or was just expression his opinion.

Other saints, however, like St. Augustine, adopted the more rigid view that only with sacramental baptism could one enter heaven.

Here's what St. Augustine said on the topic:

"For whatever unbaptized persons die confessing Christ, this confession is of the same efficacy for the remission of sins as if they were washed in the sacred font of Baptism. For He Who said, 'Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God,' made also an exception in their favor, in that other sentence where He no less absolutely said, 'Whosever shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven'; and in another place, 'Whosoever will lose his life for my sake, shall find it.'" (City of God, Book 8, Chapter 7)

"The same blessed Cyprian sees no small proof that suffering can sometimes take the place of Baptism, from the [case of] the thief to whom, though he was not baptized, it was over and over I find that not only suffering for the name of Christ can supply what was lacking of Baptism, but also faith and conversion of heart, if it happens that because of circumstances of time, recourse cannot be had to the celebration of the mystery of Baptism." (De Baptismo)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by Parmandur - 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM