Fearing Infinity: Ways to Overcome
Interesting. I have never heard of this fear... and I'm still not sure I understand fully what it is. I've always looked forward to living forever!

Maybe the fear stems from having an underdeveloped concept of the afterlife. We tend to “spiritualize” everything, either by holding onto a kindergarten heaven with angels on fluffy clouds playing harps for all eternity, or by some abstract heaven where we zone out in ecstasy. Instead we should focus on the resurrection and the new creation, though it is mysterious, it is the teaching of the Church.

Kingtheoden said: In Genesis, God says that His creation is good; so it serves us well not to retreat too much from the notion of the created.

Absolutely! We are creatures, after all, and all of creation is waiting to be recreated. If we think in terms of a new heaven and earth, where everything is like it was intended to be before the Fall, only better – it might not seem as scary or boring.
Scriptorium, thank you for that assessment.  I speculated that this could be, perhaps, a sort of 'dark night.'  I think you offer here some very good advice.

StrictCatholicGirl, thank you for the kind words!  I will give you a Fish award as soon as I am able to do so again!  The interesting thing is that prior to last week, this concept would have been completely foreign to me and would have seemed silly.  I think that part of this is that since I am somewhat alone in a temporal sense in practicing and presenting the Faith, as I have delved more deeply in a scholastic sense, a closed loop develops.  Also, I went from consistent, 12 hours days of work to a festia period; this has felt very odd.

One of my favorite videos by Michael Voris is the one regarding his discussion on the Holy Trinity.  The Godhead Himself is too loving to be singular and thus is one of three persons.  So I think that what is crucial to us as Catholics is to remember that we are a community too!  Most of us are not called to live like St. John the Beloved, and he did so after interacting significantly with others.

This has also gotten me to meditate upon the mystery of the rebellion in Heaven.  The enemy said to God 'Non servium' as if the devil knew creation better than the Creator.  At least for me, in identifying my weaknesses, they are typical of strident men: Pride and lust.  Even when I am seeking to do good, such as study the Psalms with commentaries and The Liturgical Year, I notice that easily can slip into an inflated sense of self. 
kingtheoden Wrote:I have a confession to make in the tank: beginning a week ago in the midst of a marathon travel jaunt, I suddenly had an intense fear of infinity/eternity.  When I was very young this bothered me, though it went away and was essentially gone at the time of my conversion; suddenly it has slammed me back.

I had to dig up this thread again.. because I finally understand what you mean. I just never stopped to contemplate infinity deeply. But last night I did... It's not "changelessness" -  but "endlessness" that strikes fear. Oh my, I started thinking about living forever and on and on and on and on and on and on.. and I started freaking out!  LOL I had to push the thought out of my head and force myself to think of something else.  LOL Obviously our finite minds can't grapple with this, so I guess it's best not to dwell on it.
(01-02-2012, 01:25 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
kingtheoden Wrote:I have a confession to make in the tank: beginning a week ago in the midst of a marathon travel jaunt, I suddenly had an intense fear of infinity/eternity.  When I was very young this bothered me, though it went away and was essentially gone at the time of my conversion; suddenly it has slammed me back.

I had to dig up this thread again.. because I finally understand what you mean. I just never stopped to contemplate infinity deeply. But last night I did... It's not "changelessness" -  but "endlessness" that strikes fear. Oh my, I started thinking about living forever and on and on and on and on and on and on.. and I started freaking out!  LOL I had to push the thought out of my head and force myself to think of something else.  LOL Obviously our finite minds can't grapple with this, so I guess it's best not to dwell on it.

Actually I was very hesitant to create this thread because I was afraid that it would cause others to feel this unusual thing.

Please please don't let it nag at you- I feel terrible that it already did bother you!  Something I read a few days ago indicates that this could be a step on the latter to greater closeness with God.  I believe St. Thomas Aquinas wrote on this.