Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(12-31-2011, 07:24 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 05:05 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 04:42 PM)FatherCekada Wrote: 1. General Principle from Pius IX: All Catholics are obliged to adhere to a teaching if Catholic theologians hold it by common consent, or hold it as de fide or Catholic doctrine, or as theologically certain.

Quote:Does any member of the Feeney faction here deny #1?

Not to be glib, but don't most traditionalists deny #1?  Most traditionalists believe that the Church hierarchy, as a whole, can teach error.  Once you accept this aren't you basically free to reject any Church teaching you like?  Doesn't this debate over BoD really show an underlying problem with the way most traditionalists approach theology in that they often skirt near Protestantism in their view of authority and the Church?  Most traditionalists ignore this point you keep making over and over, because they just don't accept it. 

I would affirm that the unanimous teaching of the Church's hierarchy as a whole--i.e., the ordinary and universal magisterium--is infallible; however, I would deny that a consensus of theologians is representative of the ordinary and universal magisterium.

I agree with you. I am more concerned with finding out what to believe when there is a contradiction in teachings.

For example, if the link has the rules, and I think it does, then will add to my confusion lol...................
A. General Principle:
• “Further, by divine and Catholic faith, all those things must be
believed which are contained in the written word of God and in
tradition, and those which are proposed by the Church, either in a
solemn pronouncement or IN HER ORDINARY AND UNIVERSAL TEACHING
POWER [magisterium], to be believed as divinely revealed.” Vatican
Council I, Dogmatic Constitution on the Faith (1870), DZ 1792.

Seems it says here that as long as we believe in either authority, we're ok. Normally I would be ok with that too - - - but in this particular case, there is an obvious - ok, seemingly obvious contradiction to some of us. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by Stubborn - 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM