Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(01-02-2012, 09:40 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
(01-01-2012, 06:43 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(01-01-2012, 03:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: The syllogism argues that Catholics are bound to the de fide and theologically certain  doctrines taught by theologians and that theologians DO teach baptism of desire as being either de fide or theologically certain.  Fr. Cekada then asks which premise do pro-Feeneyites deny.

So we are bound to choose whether to be bound to the OM that teach BOD or the infallible teachings which declare the necessity of water?

Which is your choice?

This is a trick question for those who see that the infallible teachings allow baptism of desire, and the OM teaches the necessity of water with baptism of desire as an exception sometimes allowed by God.

Pardon my interruption (I haven't read every single one of Stubborn's posts), but does he acknowledge the facts that desire for baptism [1] is not a sacrament (therefore, there is still only one sacrament of baptism), [2] that it absolutely must be animated by perfect love for God in order to be efficacious, [3] that the latter automatically, though never presumptuously, places the soul in the state of sanctifying grace, [4] that all souls who die in the state of sanctifying grace are infallibly saved, and [5] that there are different types of necessity as recognized by theologians long before Trent's canon concerning the sacrament (NOTE: meaning it does not apply to baptism of desire) of baptism?

These 5 facts reconcile the various teachings of the Church on this matter without any contradiction. Acknowledging them, I don't see how one can deny baptism of desire in good faith. As you know, the salvific efficacy of desire for baptism animated by perfect charity carries the theological note of sententia fidei proxima, which means one is not permitted to deny it without risking one's membership in the Church. This is very dangerous business.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by INPEFESS - 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM