Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(01-24-2012, 08:33 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Well, the point is less to correct you, since you are obstinate in error to the point of misreading and ignoring the teachings of the Church, but to let it be known that you stand outside the opinion of the Church.  Since you asked, here is Ott on the issue:

[quote='Ludwig Ott']
2. Substitutes for Sacramental Baptism

In case of emergency Baptism by water can be replaced by Baptism of desire or Baptism by blood. (Sent. fidei prox.)

a) Baptism of desire (Baptismus flaminis sive Spiritus Sancti) Baptism of desire is the explicit or implicit desire for sacramental baptism (votum baptismi) associated with perfect contrition (contrition based on charity).

The Council of Trent teaches that justification from original sin is not possible " without the washing unto regeneration or the desire for the
same."

According to the teaching of Holy Writ, perfect love possesses justifying power. Luke 7, 47: "Many sins are forgiven her because she hath loved much." John 14, 21: " He that loveth me shall be loved of my Father: l and I will love him and will manifest myself to him." Luke 23, 43 • " This, day thou shalt be with me in Paradise."

The chief witnesses from Tradition are St. Ambrose and St. Augustine. In the funeral oration on the Emperor Valentine II, who died without Baptism, St.  Ambrose says: " Should he not acquire the grace for which he longed? Certainly: As he desired it, he has attained it . . . His pious desire has absolved him " (De obitu Valent. 51, 53). St. Augustine declared: " I find that not only suffering for the sake of Christ can replace that which is lacking in Baptism, but also faith and conversion of the heart (fidem conversionemque cordis), if perhaps the shortness of the time does not permit the celebration of the mystery, of Baptism " (De bapt. IV 22, 29). In the period of early Scholasticism St. Bernard of Clairvaux (Ep. 77 c. 2 n. 6-9), Hugo of St. Victor (De sacr. 116, 7) and the Summa Sententiarum (V 5) defended the possibility of Baptism of desire against Peter Abelard. Cf. S. th. III 68, 2.

Baptism of desire works ex opere operantis. It bestows Sanctifying Grace, which remits original sin, all actual sins, and the eternal  punishments for sin.  Venial sins and temporal punishments for sin are remitted according to the intensity of the subjective disposition. The baptismal character is not imprinted nor is it the gateway to the other sacraments.

Just to point out, nowhere in the exposition does it say that this gnostic phenomenon called "baptism of desire" occurs only at death. 

So, what happens when a person who has had this "baptism of desire" remit original and actual mortal sins only to sin mortally again?  Does this "baptism of desire" make him impeccable, preventing him from commission of any further mortal sin?  Can he re-baptize himself with the desire for the laver of regeneration and remit any further actual mortal sins after his first "baptism of desire?"

How do you reconcile the notion of faith and conversion of heart replacing that which is lacking in Baptism from St. Augustine's quotation provided above to Ott's definition of "baptism of desire?" 

-- Nicole

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by yablabo - 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM