Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
Actually, here's a post from an older thread that sums up the case rather completely.  It really seems that Father Cekada is right, that Feeneyites are not willing to listen to the tradition of the Church where it does not suit them or make sense in an individualistic way:

(11-11-2010, 02:30 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
Stubborn Wrote:Again, why is or without the desire of them automatically INTERPRETED as the Baptism of Desire?

By whose authority?

Stubborn,
I think it is permissible to interpret “or without the desire of them” as baptism of desire because it was already taught 1) before the Council, 2) at the time of the Council, and 3) unanimously after the Council (below you’ll see that several theologians interpreted the texts under question as supporting baptism of desire). Aside from your interpretation of the canons, I’m positive that you will not find any papal or conciliar condemnation of baptism of desire, nor will you find any pope who forbids theologians from teaching it (or who systematically puts theology manuals that teach baptism of desire on the Index). Here is the evidence I have been able to find so far:

1) Support of baptism of desire before the Council of Trent:

Popes:

Innocent II (Dz. 388)
Innocent III (Dz. 413)

Doctors:

St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Cat. Lect., III, 4
St. Basil, Homily 13 in S. Baptisma (cited by Herve)
St. Ambrose, De obitu Valentiniani consolation: P.L. XVI, 1367
St. John Chrysostum, Hom. 1 ad Illuminados (cited by Herve)
St. Augustine, De Baptismo, IV, 22, 29; De Civ. Dei, XIII, 7
St. Gregory Nazianzen, Or. 40, 23 (cited by Herve)
St. Bernard, Tractatus de Baptismo, II, 8: P.L. CLXXXII, 1036-37
St. Albert the Great, Opera Omnia, vol. XXVI, pp. 35-40: Tract III, De Baptismo, q. I, art. 7 (cited by Fr. Laisney, see below)
St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, III, q. 66, a. 11; q. 68, a. 2
St. Bonaventure, In Sent. IV,  d. 4, P. 2, a. I, q. I

Fathers and Theologians:

Anonymous, De Rebaptismate, n. 5: P.L. III, 1189
St. Cyprian, Ep. 73, 23
St. Gregory of Nyssa, Cont. differentes Baptismum (cited by Herve)
St. Fulgentius, The Rule of Faith, n. 43
Hugh of St. Victor, De sacramentis christianae fidei, II, VI, 7: P.L. CLXXVI, 453

2) Desire for sacraments taught at the Council of Trent:

Sess. VI, chap. 4: Dz. 796 - "This translation after the promulgation of the Gospel cannot be effected except through the laver of regeneration [can. 5 de bapt.], or a desire for it"
Sess. VI, chap. 14: Dz. 807 - "the sacramental confession of the same, at least in desire and to be made in its season"
Sess. VII, can. 4: Dz. 847 - "If anyone shall say that the sacraments of the New Law are not necessary for salvation, but are superfluous, and that, although all are not necessary for every individual, without them or without the desire of them through faith alone men obtain from God the grace of justification; let him be anathema."
Sess. XIV, chap. 4: Dz. 898 - "The Council teaches, furthermore, that though it sometimes happens that this contrition is perfect because of charity and reconciles man to God, before this sacrament is actually received, this reconciliation nevertheless must not be ascribed to the contrition itself without the desire of the sacrament which is included in it."

3) Support of baptism of desire after the Council of Trent:

Magisterium:

Roman Catechism, P. II, chap. II, q. 36
Pope St. Pius V, Ex Omnibus Afflictionibus: Dz. 1031, 1033, 1043, 1070
Pope Paul V, Roman Ritual, Part II, chap. I, par. 1
Pope Gregory XIII, Roman Martyrology – unbaptized saints proposed for veneration by the faithful (Ss. Emerentiana, Genesius of Arles, Victor of Braga, and Rogatian)
Pope St. Pius X, 1917 Code of Canon Law, can. 737 §1; 1239 §2 (see also the personal Catechism of Pope St. Pius X)
Holy Office Letter to Archbishop of Boston, Suprema Haec Sacra: DS 3869-3872

Doctors:

St. Alphonsus de Liguori, Theologia Moralis, Lib. VI, Tr. 2, chap. 1, nn. 95-97
St. Robert Bellarmine, De Ecclesia militante, Lib. III, chap. 3

Theologians:

Cano, De Locis Theologicis, Lib. IV, chap. 2-3 (de Ecclesiae Catholicae Auctoritate)
Suarez, De Baptismo, disp. XXVII, sect. II, n. 5 (cited by Tanquerey)
Hunter, Outlines of Dogmatic Theology, vol. III, sec. 694, pp. 224-226
Pesch, Praelectiones Dogmaticae, t. VI (?), n. 423 (cited by Tanquerey)
*Pohle-Preuss, The Sacraments: A Dogmatic Treatise, vol. I, pp. 243-248
*Tanquerey, Synopsis Theologiae Dogmaticae, vol. III, p. 362
Billot, De Ecclesia Christi, q. VII, th. 14; De Ecclesiae Sacramentis, q. XXIV, th. 25, pp. 240-261; De Gratia Christi, th. 13, p. 197sqq. (cited by Fr. Laisney in Is Feeneyism Catholic?, p. 79)
Franzelin, De Ecclesia, pp. 414-423 (cited by Fr. Laisney)
Wilhelm and Scannell, A Manual of Catholic Theology, Based on Scheeben's 'Dogmatic', vol. II, Lib. VII, sec. 252, I, 2, a
Garrigou-Lagrange, De Revelatione, pp. 613-615 (cited by Fr. Laisney)
*Herve, Manuale Theologiae Dogmaticae, vol. III, p. 562
*Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, p. 356
McHugh and Callan, Moral Theology: A Complete Course, vol. II, sec. 2662, pp. 631f.
Prümmer, Handbook of Moral Theology, sec. 551, p. 253; sec. 555, p. 254

*All four cited Sess. VI, chap. 4 (Dz. 796) as well as the pre-Tridentine pontiffs as evidence in support of baptism of desire.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by Parmandur - 01-27-2012, 02:57 AM