Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(01-27-2012, 01:52 PM)yablabo Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 10:43 AM)GraceSeeker Wrote: Yikes.  Too many words.

I'm not a theologian, just a Catholic with a childlike faith.  So could you kindly simplify this for me?...

When I was in RCIA and asked to be baptized immediately, rather than wait until the Easter Vigil several months away and the priest told me, "No.  You're a catechumen, not a candidate and the Church has catechumens baptized at the Easter Vigil, but if you die before then you'll be considered to have had baptism of desire and be saved" and had I died, what would have happened?

It's silly to go in-depth into academic speculation in matters where reality has already answered definitely, since you didn't die without having been baptized.  However, in regard to the answer your priest gave you, that is terribly presumptuous (explicit sin against the supernatural virtue of hope) on his part to count any specific person as saved without a singular divine revelation of such.

Also, this very issue is why children need to be taught from an early age that even they as lay persons can minister Baptism validly and licitly in the case of danger of death.  God will provide Baptism for all His elect...even at the hands of a heretic or pagan.

The teaching from Our Lord's own mouth as recorded in the Gospel of St. John is that unless one is born again of WATER and Spirit, he cannot possibly enter into the kingdom of God: "amen amen dico tibi nisi quis renatus fuerit ex aqua et Spiritu non potest introire in regnum Dei."  I personally am not taking this as a strict mental reservation (i.e., a lie) on the part of Our Lord.

-- Nicole

GraceSeeker,

your priest was right to alay your fears.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by Parmandur - 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM