Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(02-01-2012, 10:51 PM)columb Wrote: From Aquinas:

"St. Thomas" Wrote:Objection 1. It seems that the three kinds of Baptism are not fittingly described as Baptism of Water, of Blood, and of the Spirit, i.e. of the Holy Ghost. Because the Apostle says (Ephesians 4:5): "One Faith, one Baptism." Now there is but one Faith. Therefore there should not be three Baptisms.

Reply to Objection 1. The other two Baptisms are included in the Baptism of Water, which derives its efficacy, both from Christ's Passion and from the Holy Ghost. Consequently for this reason the unity of Baptism is not destroyed.

Those of us who argue agasinst BoD are actually in agreement with St. Thomas. He is maintaining that there is but ONE Baptism and  it's of water which contains also the blood and the spirit, therefore the sacrament of Baptism consists of water, blood and spirt and so the three remain undivided and unseperated.
BoD seperates what St. Thomas states remains undivided.

You are reading St. Thomas Aquinas very much out of context.  In the same article as the above  he makes it as clear as glass that he is supporting Baptism of Desire.

"St. Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica III Q66 A11 [b Wrote:Whether three kinds of Baptism are fittingly described--viz. Baptism of Water, of Blood, and of the Spirit?[/b]"]

(This is only part of the article.  You should read it in full: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4066.htm)

Objection 1. It seems that the three kinds of Baptism are not fittingly described as Baptism of Water, of Blood, and of the Spirit, i.e. of the Holy Ghost. Because the Apostle says (Ephesians 4:5): "One Faith, one Baptism." Now there is but one Faith. Therefore there should not be three Baptisms.

Reply to Objection 1. The other two Baptisms are included in the Baptism of Water, which derives its efficacy, both from Christ's Passion and from the Holy Ghost. Consequently for this reason the unity of Baptism is not destroyed.

But his "I  answer that " in the same article includes this (making it clear that Baptism of Desire (same as Baptism of Repentence) can be received without water):

In like manner a man receives the effect of Baptism by the power of the Holy Ghost, not only without Baptism of Water, but also without Baptism of Blood: forasmuch as his heart is moved by the Holy Ghost to believe in and love God and to repent of his sins: wherefore this is also called Baptism of Repentance.

Things can be one in one sense and three in another (eg the Trinity).  (those who deny Baptism of Desire don't like distinctions). Baptism of Water derives its efficacy from Blood (from Christ's Passion) and from the Holy Ghost (which is also given in Baptism of Desire). Baptism of Blood and Baptism of Desire both necessarily imply the desire for the Sacrament of Baptism.  These three are one in these ways, and in these respects cannot be divided as both St. Thomas and St. Leo are saying.  But they can be received separately; in a second respect they are three - as this article is explaining.

Simple breakdown of St. Thomas' article:

The title of the article is Whether three kinds of Baptism are fittingly described--viz. Baptism of Water, of Blood, and of the Spirit?
St Thomas' answer is YES.

Objection 1 is made by St. Thomas'  opponent (Baptism is one, and so there cannot be 3 kinds).
Reply to Objection 1 is made by St. Thomas (although there are 3 kinds of baptism, they are very much united in one baptism).

"I answer that" gives St. Thomas main argument that there are 3 kinds.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by Doce Me - 02-02-2012, 12:18 AM