Vatican
is the Vatican flag the official flag of all Catholics worldwide?

Also , should Catholics fly and respect that flag?
It is the flag of the state of Vatican City.

You should fly it and respect it as you would fly any flag that represents a country with which you are connected.

For instance, around here it is common for Irish-Americans to fly the Irish flag. If it is flown with the USA flag, it is flown under the USA flag because they are not in Ireland. It may be flown alone.

The American flag has a certain set of customs attached to its use. Do not fly it in the rain, in the dark, if it is worn out, do not let it touch the ground, etc. Those customs are considered "proper flag treatment". Though technically U.S. Federal code, those laws applying to the American flag are unenforced (and unenforceable). They do not apply to foreign flags-- though those rules may be applied by custom.

At my work, we fly the Vatican flag (or strictly speaking, we fly the common rectangle version rather than the official square version). I was in charge of putting it up for a while. It gets the same treatment as the American flag except in the way it is folded; it's flown at half-staff at all the same time, etc.

So in short, you're welcome to fly it but not required. It is not the official Catholic flag-- it's the flag of the official Catholic seat of government. You should respect it as you would the flag of any other sovereign foreign country. It does not require any particular treatment.

Fun link: Laws on the US Flag from US Federal Code http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastw...%3AEXPCITE

edited for grammar
Not only "Vatican city", but it represents the Holy See on earth. It's carried a little more weight than "any" flag of "any" country.
There is nothing like it. And No other flag equates it.
Imho. 

(01-02-2012, 02:27 PM)Tapatio Wrote: Not only "Vatican city", but it represents the Holy See on earth. It's carried a little more weight than "any" flag of "any" country.
There is nothing like it. And No other flag equates it.
Imho. 

You're entitled to your humble opinion.

And flags do convey that ethos about them. That's why people fly them. But if the question is about the strict use of flags, your opinion doesn't really answer the question.
the Irish flag (or Vatican flag for that matter) should not be flown lower than the American flag, actually.  only lesser flags may be flown underneath the American flag, such as state or local flags.  flags of sovereign nations are to be flown on separate poles at the same height, the American flag is to be flown on the right side (from the flag's point of view) to show its prominence, but to fly it above another sovereign nation's flag is disrespectful.  the exception to the right side prominence of the American flag is that the UN is permitted to fly all flags in alphabetical order.

http://www.united-states-flag.com/displaying-flags.html
"Is the Vatican flag the official flag of all Catholics worldwide?"

Not since they ditched tradition, stopped converting, and refused to grant God's wish.

("God wishes to establish in the world, devotion to My Immaculate Heart."  -Our Lady of the Rosary at Fatima)
(01-02-2012, 09:14 PM)Aloysius Wrote: the Irish flag (or Vatican flag for that matter) should not be flown lower than the American flag, actually.  only lesser flags may be flown underneath the American flag, such as state or local flags.  flags of sovereign nations are to be flown on separate poles at the same height, the American flag is to be flown on the right side (from the flag's point of view) to show its prominence, but to fly it above another sovereign nation's flag is disrespectful.  the exception to the right side prominence of the American flag is that the UN is permitted to fly all flags in alphabetical order.

http://www.united-states-flag.com/displaying-flags.html

From the site you suggested:
"If a state, local or society flags are flown on the same halyard with the American Flag, the American Flag should be at the top."
"state" in that context specifically means a state in the union, not a sovereign nation state.  from the same site:

"Another nation's flag shouldn't be displayed on the same halyard as the American Flag."
"If the flags of other nations are displayed with the American Flag, they should be of equal size and at equal heights on separate staffs at a time of peace. The American Flag should be displayed to the (flag's own) right but not higher than other national flags."

I have seen these rules elsewhere as well and believe them to be accurate.  Placing one flag over another flag indicates that the one flag has authority over the other in some way, as the Federal Government has authority over States (though that authority should be limited, it exists).  Another nation's flag underneath our flag is a signal that we have conquered that nation or are in the process of conquering it, hence in the above rules it specifies "in a time of peace"
The Vatican is not a nation. It is a state.
Ireland is certainly a nation, though.  I initially was reacting against placing the Irish flag underneath the American flag.  but I think it applies to the Vatican as well.

again, states in that context refer to states in the union.  I don't think that it would refer to the Vatican City-State, as it is sovereign and independent.  Though there are other rules for Church flags which require Church flags to be underneath American flags on the same staff, so it would depend on what you were viewing the Vatican flag as... if it's a flag of the Catholic Church then it should be underneath the American flag, if it's a flag of a sovereign city-state outside the US and the US is not trying to conquer them, I believe it it supposed to be on an equal level.

question: does the Vatican flag fly outside the UN next to the others?  I don't know if it does as a permanent observer rather than a member.