New-New Translation: "Utterly Worthless"
(01-14-2012, 03:07 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: As to the OP I have mostly only been in the FSSP but I have attended some new Masses now and then and now because of my current situation it is all I have available. I have attend the New Mass in its New New New Translation about 4 times and all I can say is if you pile dog poop on top of other dog poop its still dog poop. Does it sound better? Sure does it put forth the fullness of what the sacrifice is and means? No, most people I know think the Mass is just a "sacred meal." Does it have an explicit Catholic Offertory? No. That was removed because it is the most explicit part of the Mass that shows forth the sacrifice. It has been replaced by jew table blessings. I was just reading that Pope Benedict said in his book as Cardinal (God is with Us) that "the traditional offertory was replaced and our modern prayers are very much like those of ancient Israel which is laudable because it puts us in touch with our jewish roots" that's nifty and all But we don't need to be in touch with our jewish roots the Church superceded Israel and is the new Israel.

Very well said.
(01-14-2012, 02:58 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(01-04-2012, 06:56 PM)JayneK Wrote: No, there is nothing strange about it.  It is just what I expect from someone who thinks that the Mass is flawed but that removing it too hastily will be harmful to the faithful.

Seriously? After I read Spirit of the Liturgy back in 03 ish I thought if only he would be Pope he would change the Mass back to something that resembles Catholic Worship. And then in 07 when he named the goofy new Mass "the Ordinary right" all I could think of was that he either A. said that "banal on the spot" quote to sell his books to his EWTN fan girls or B. he is weak and can't take a stand regarding liturgy and wants to make everyone happy at the expense of the Mass.

I see him taking a lot of actions that work towards a gradual restoration of liturgy:  allowing only COTT and kneeling when he says Mass, making clear that the TLM was never abrogated and should be made available to the faithful, telling bishops to make Latin part of seminary studies again.  I don't see it as weak but as the strategy likely to be most effective in the  long run.