What's the Trad Opinion On Anglicans/Episcopalians Joining the Catholic Church?
(01-04-2012, 03:14 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-04-2012, 03:09 PM)tmw89 Wrote: With the conservative Anglicans joining us... will there be anything left of the Church of England in 50 years' time??

Maybe if we get a hardline Pope they can pick up our liberals?

It would be a good trade.
It's a shame they don't celebrate the Sarum use in Prayer Book English...
(01-04-2012, 07:23 PM)Adelbrecht Wrote: It's a shame they don't celebrate the Sarum use in Prayer Book English...

Some do.  It's my understanding that the Ordinariate will have the power to approve liturgies (with the approval of Rome) so Sarum Use in English (or even Latin) is a possibility. 
So what are we supposed to call them? Anglo Catholic or simply Catholic?  I don't think they are Roman Catholic ???
(01-04-2012, 08:23 PM)Josué Wrote: So what are we supposed to call them? Anglo Catholic or simply Catholic?  I don't think they are Roman Catholic ???

Well, they are technically Roman Rite Catholics.
(01-04-2012, 08:24 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(01-04-2012, 08:23 PM)Josué Wrote: So what are we supposed to call them? Anglo Catholic or simply Catholic?  I don't think they are Roman Catholic ???

But I thought we just had the TLM and the NO as "Romans"
(01-04-2012, 08:29 PM)Josué Wrote:

Nope.  In some ways it looks like we are reverting back to a pre-1570 situation in the Latin rite where there multiple liturgies in use. 

Anglo-Catholics should not be used to describe converts since that term is specifically used to describe a certain group of Anglicans who follow a theory proposed by John Henry Newman  back when he was a Protestant. 
(01-04-2012, 08:34 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-04-2012, 08:29 PM)Josué Wrote:

Nope.  In some ways it looks like we are reverting back to a pre-1570 situation in the Latin rite where there multiple liturgies in use. 

Anglo-Catholics should not be used to describe converts since that term is specifically used to describe a certain group of Anglicans who follow a theory proposed by John Henry Newman  back when he was a Protestant. 

Okay, thank you for clarifying.  They are Catholic and I'll just call them that.  :) I'm sure they'll be happy to be called that too
Anglican use Catholics? Anglo-Catholics?

It doesn't really matter.
Anglo-Catholics are Anglicans who considered themselves Catholic - by some invisible Church theory and some revisionist history regarding Apostolic succession.

Anglican Use Catholics is a bit better but it seems a bit odd to give them that name - it would be like saying Baptist Use Catholic.

I prefer to call them Catholics of the Latin Church who use a modification of the Anglican Rite (it is my understanding that they have modified the Rite in small ways).