U.S. Bishop daddy X 2. Not good.
(01-05-2012, 01:26 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: At least he wasn't butt-raping altar boys.

I, for one, am in favour of married clergy: deacons, priests and bishops. The whole lot.
If that was a reality, since if anyone would be expected to have families of 10, it'd be priests, how would you propose a diocese support these families?
That seems to be the #1 issue with the Church even considering the celibacy rule change.
Well, it could be that a lot of these priests would be like the married deacons now - holding other jobs, and just bringing the sacraments to people, while celibate priests would do all the administrative work and be supported financially.  It would at least address some of the priest-shortage issues.  I'm not saying that would be a good idea, but that might be one way to deal with that particular problem.
(01-05-2012, 01:58 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 01:26 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: At least he wasn't butt-raping altar boys.

I, for one, am in favour of married clergy: deacons, priests and bishops. The whole lot.
If that was a reality, since if anyone would be expected to have families of 10, it'd be priests, how would you propose a diocese support these families?
That seems to be the #1 issue with the Church even considering the celibacy rule change.

Many orthodox priests have part-time jobs; yes, they might not be 100% onto their priestly ministries, but I do think that allowing married priests would increase the number of aspirants to the priesthood and therefore would there be more priests to attend the flock, mitigating the aforementioned problem. I know many people who are permanent deacons and would have no problem whatsoever if they were even ordained priests.
(01-05-2012, 02:53 PM)cgraye Wrote: Well, it could be that a lot of these priests would be like the married deacons now - holding other jobs, and just bringing the sacraments to people, while celibate priests would do all the administrative work and be supported financially.  It would at least address some of the priest-shortage issues.  I'm not saying that would be a good idea, but that might be one way to deal with that particular problem.

You beat me to it, cgraye
The Church still has enough money to go about so the economical factor is not really an argument in favour of an all-celibate clergy. And in poorer areas, married priests could always opt to have part-time jobs that keep them busy and help their families.

Coincidentally, the easterners seem to have managed married clergy for a long time, not to mention the case of married Protestant ministers. I don't think there's really an economical impediment to it.
(01-05-2012, 03:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The Church still has enough money to go about so the economical factor is not really an argument in favour of an all-celibate celibacy. And in poorer areas, married priests could always opt to have part-time jobs that keep them busy and help their families.

Coincidentally, the easterners seem to have managed married clergy for a long time, not to mention the case of married Protestant ministers. I don't think there's really an economical impediment to it.

Agreed.  Let's hear it for married clergymen!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Its the Renaissance all over again...
(01-05-2012, 05:19 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 03:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The Church still has enough money to go about so the economical factor is not really an argument in favour of an all-celibate celibacy. And in poorer areas, married priests could always opt to have part-time jobs that keep them busy and help their families.

You both really don't think the Church has a $$$$$$$$$$$ problem as it is???
(01-05-2012, 08:05 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:

The Church has a money problem because people are leaving.  And people are leaving because the clergy has little faith and is queer.  And they haven't given them reason to stay.  If we can attain salvation outside of the Church and if we don't need to eat His flesh and drink His blood then why be Catholic?  That's why there's no money, because there's no people.  No one cares about the Church because the churchmen consistently give them nothing to care about, and they barely have faith themselves.  That's the money problem, and that's even more a spiritual/soul-losing problem.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-05-2012, 08:13 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 08:05 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:

The Church has a money problem because people are leaving.  And people are leaving because the clergy has little faith and is queer.  And they haven't given them reason to stay.  If we can attain salvation outside of the Church and if we don't need to eat His flesh and drink His blood then why be Catholic?  That's why there's no money, because there's no people.  No one cares about the Church because the churchmen consistently give them nothing to care about, and they barely have faith themselves.  That's the money problem, and that's even more a spiritual/soul-losing problem.
:clap: :clap: :clap: