Did JP2 excommunicate "ALL" SSPX priests at one point?
(01-05-2012, 03:28 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 12:02 PM)cgraye Wrote:
(01-04-2012, 09:55 PM)JMartyr Wrote: No, because 1983 code said so.

Not only is the very idea of the Code of Canon Law invalidating the actions of a pope (the ultimate judge of that law) logically ridiculous, but the specific arguments for why it was true in this case fail to convince on any objective level.

In any case, I'd say the SSPX lost their chance to even make that argument when they asked for and accepted the lifting of the excommunications.

Were the excommunications "lifted" though? IIRC the Pope used different terminology that tended towards them not being formally excommunicated in the first place. I'm not about to look it up but maybe someone else knows offhand.
From the official Vatican decree on the lifting of the excommunications:

"On the basis of the powers expressly granted to me by the Holy Father Benedict XVI, by virtue of the present Decree I remit the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae incurred by Bishops Bernard Fellay, Bernard Tissier de Mallerais, Richard Williamson and Alfonso de Galarreta, and declared by this Congregation on 1 July 1988. At the same time I declare that, as of today’s date, the Decree issued at that time no longer has juridical effect."

This states that the HF will "remit the penalty of excommunication latae senteniae incerrred by ..." [in other words the excommunications occurred, and the HF is remitting them "lifting them]
Once the escommunications are lifted they no longer have any juridical effect.
The suspensions, however, remain

Messages In This Thread
Re: Did JP2 excommunicate "ALL" SSPX priests at one point? - by Old Salt - 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM