Did JP2 excommunicate "ALL" SSPX priests at one point?
(01-05-2012, 04:30 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 03:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: If the Pope can completely override Canon Law at his whim like John Paul II did in 1988, then Canon Law has little reason to exist: it's a legal fiction.

If a layman can completely override the Pope at his whim by appealing to Canon Law, than the Pope has little reason to exist: he's an ecclesiastical fiction. 

If Canon Law declares that a faithful in a given situation does not incur excommunication and then the pope comes along and says that such given faithful is indeed excommunicated after all, although the situation is identical as the one envisaged by Canon Law, then I guess there isn't much left of the law that is altogether relevant. If a pope can simply ignore Canon Law at his whim, then I don't see the point. No-one in his right mind believes the excommunications of Abp. Lefebvre and Bp. Castro Mayer to have been valid, much less their logical consequences: the eternal damnation of both these valiant clerics who fought for the faith when the rest of the Church was abandoning it.

On the other hand, the reason for the existence of the papal office isn't confined to being the supreme arbiter, or should I say trumper, of Canon Law.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Did JP2 excommunicate "ALL" SSPX priests at one point? - by Vetus Ordo - 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM