Pre-Reformation English rebelliousness?
(01-05-2012, 07:03 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 06:44 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 04:11 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Ireland is an interesting exception, given that it was very far from Rome yet stayed loyal. I wonder if it was purely out of piety, or if a large part of it had to do with the fact that adhering to Rome made them un-English.

In Christianity: the First Three Thousand Years (a book I wouldn't necessarily for orthodoxy), Diarmaid MacCulloch claims that Ireland mainly stayed Catholic in order to be rebellious toward Britain. However, if a rebellious streak will make someone Catholic, then such a rebellion should be encouraged by all virtuous people. It's rather wonderful how something as evil as British oppression caused something as good as Irish devotion.

How did you like the book?

I thought it was interesting and well-written (and, according to the book's back cover, Eamon Duffy agrees with the sentiment). For an agnostic (atheist?), MacCulloch was pretty favorable in his treatment of Christianity in general.

As one would imagine of a work on Church history by any non-Catholic author, though, there were significant errors in it. One thing that particularly irked me was his statement (part of an over-all treatment of Christ's life which was more balanced than expected) that Christ might not have cared about being consistent in His teaching (referring to seeming inconsistencies in His sayings recorded in the Synoptic Gospels). Also, like most modern secular historians, his over-all view is that dogma evolves rather than develops. He underplays the difference between the Catholic, Nestorians, and Monophysites. Also, he assumes that SS. Gervase and Protase were invented by St. Ambrose in a political power-grab. He pokes fun at Our Lady of Lourdes and implies that Lourdes was fraudulent.

Again, I think that the book was very good for a history of Christianity written by an atheist, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone struggling with his faith.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pre-Reformation English rebelliousness? - by Resurrexi - 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM