What YEAR did America start implementing the NO mass??
1965, 66 or 67? Or later?
Advent 1970 in my neck of the woods. Between 1965 and 1970 they implemented some of the changes encouraged in VII, but it was not the Mass of Pope Paul VI.
(01-05-2012, 09:57 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: 1965, 66 or 67? Or later?
To my knowledge the NO wasn't promulgated until Advent of '69.  Changes to the TLM like vernacular, abolition of prayers at the foot of the altar and the Leonine prayers , etc occurred a few years before that.  The NO was used ad experimentum as early as '67 I think, but this was on a very limited scope.
It legally entered into force on the 1st Sunday of Advent 1969, but that was a dead letter since the NOM wasn't actually published until 1970, but previous posters are right, prayers had been dropped, the vernacular was being used well before the NOM was published. It was, however, still based on the Old Mass.
(01-05-2012, 10:04 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Advent 1970 in my neck of the woods. Between 1965 and 1970 they implemented some of the changes encouraged in VII, but it was not the Mass of Pope Paul VI.
That's true. The missal wasn't translated until 1970 or so.  We were in Germany at the time and they were already giving communion in the hand by '69 so the NO was just another nail in the coffin there.
The Novus Ordo Missae came into effect the First Sunday of Advent, 1969. However, changes were steadily made since mid-1964, such as facing the cogregation, vernacularizations, communion under both species, removal of certain parts (prayers at the foot of the altar, Last Gospel etc.)
Friends, this conference conducted in September, 1964 by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J., is pretty revealing. I think it's in the very first lecture: he says parishes are creating altars facing the people, and have been since late 1963. If not in the first lecture, scroll down until you see the two-part "Liturgy" (done right next to "Ecumenism" :Hmm:)!

EDIT: The bloody link http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/...115000.htm
(01-05-2012, 09:57 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: 1965, 66 or 67? Or later?

Are you aware that there was an intermediate Mass between the 1962 missal and the NOM? It was adopted in 1965 and was basically the 1962 Mass, with a great deal of vernacular and the suppression of a great deal of piety surrounding the Blessed Sacrament. The NOM is officially dated 1969 or 1970 depending on the source. I'm not sure if an English translation was immediately available as I thought the first ICEL translation dated to 1973. More learned fishies could say more.
(01-06-2012, 10:15 AM)Laetare Wrote: Friends, this conference conducted in September, 1964 by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J., is pretty revealing. I think it's in the very first lecture: he says parishes are creating altars facing the people, and have been since late 1963. If not in the first lecture, scroll down until you see the two-part "Liturgy" (done right next to "Ecumenism" :Hmm:)!

Brother L, you've forgotten to actually give us the link!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-06-2012, 10:38 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-06-2012, 10:15 AM)Laetare Wrote: Friends, this conference conducted in September, 1964 by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J., is pretty revealing. I think it's in the very first lecture: he says parishes are creating altars facing the people, and have been since late 1963. If not in the first lecture, scroll down until you see the two-part "Liturgy" (done right next to "Ecumenism" :Hmm:)!

Brother L, you've forgotten to actually give us the link!

:blush:

http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/...115000.htm

Thanks! :)