What YEAR did America start implementing the NO mass??
The changes which you guys are speaking of are the actual Mass of Paul VI, and what ever Fr. Louie Lightintheloafers thought up with Sister Jojo de Bruiser. Advent 1969/1970 brought the Mass of Bugnini. I'd guess besides Lisa and me most of you never saw that Mass. The Mass of Paul VI got rid of the prayers at the foot of the altar and the last Gospell, and the Gospell and Epistle were read in English from the Altar, the rest was Latin. It was easily recognizable and similar to the TLM, but the modernists were getting ready for the next iteration. The comical part was very few in the pews knew what to do, whether to stand, kneel, sit, jump, skip or do the boogallo down broadway.

Like Jonicatholc said they just stopped going to Mass. One Sunday they were at Mass and the next gone. Make no mistake it was an Earthquake.
The Church of Jesus Christ is hierarchical, and the people in the pews pray, pay, and obey. I wouldn'twant to be the guys that took avantage of this opportunity to rip the Mass apart, when the go to their personal judgement, with the souls of so many fallen away testifying against them.

tim
(01-06-2012, 01:14 PM)Tim Wrote: I'd guess besides Lisa and me most of you never saw that Mass.

You forgot me, Tim! Even though I was still an 'Anglo-Catholic', I regularly attended Catholic Mass when there was no 'Mass' available to me locally. I saw the the changes from the Mass of the Ages to the full blown NOM.
Jovan, I didn't do it on purpose. You weren't here yet.  That was really a shocker back then. We should have a little initial next to our moniker like
A, for aged like fine Boonesfarm or Annie Greenspring or something. hehehe

tim
Tim, Lisa, Jovan, et al

Was the 1965 missal that bad? I mean, people who were around said the changes started happening in '64. When did you start realizing it was like a revolution, and the Mass of your childhood had radically transformed? 1968? 1969? Because, wasn't there vernacularizations of the Tridentine Mass? Like "judge me o God" etc. I read two interesting first hand accounts from this era. One is a William F. Buckley piece, criticizing the changes. The other is a missal. I went to a used book store, and perused all the old missals. One was from 1960 or so. It belonged to a lady, and she would right in all the changes made in the vernacular. She wrote things in the creed, gloria, and canon. Itwas quite amazing, and basically showed the small changes leading up to the Novus Ordo proper.

Do you remember any holdouts? Priests trying to keep things as traditional as they could?
(01-06-2012, 04:40 PM)Tim Wrote: Jovan, I didn't do it on purpose. You weren't here yet.  That was really a shocker back then. We should have a little initial next to our moniker like

tim

No offence taken, Tim! Great idea for the 'A'. Hadn't thought of Annie Greensprings in years! LOL
(01-06-2012, 04:43 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Do you remember any holdouts? Priests trying to keep things as traditional as they could?

Fr Michael Moriarity, Pastor of St John the Evangelist Parish in Lawrence, KS. He clung to the Latin, even in the NOM as long as he could. When the vernacular was 'mandated', he began celebrating the Latin NOM in the school gym at the same time his curate was celebrating in English in the Church. That way, no one could complain that they were being 'deprived' of the vernacular. Since the majority of parishioners were in the gym, the Archbishop transferred Father to a smaller parish where he didn't have a curate.

He and his brother, Pastor of Assumption Parish in Topeka, were from the Ould Sod in the days when Ireland was producing more priests than they could use. Good men and holy, devout priests. May they both Rest in Peace!
At the Church of the Assumption here in Chicago, and Jovann, knows this Church, Fr. Tomaso Ferrazi held out. He fought Cardinal Cody for years. He was a Servite so he had a little wiggle room, until Cardinal Cody brought down the full force of his Superiors on him. The Assumption Parish was dieing as no one lived there anymore. He kept it together by bringing in Celio, who was a famous chef, from the Parish, and getting him to make a fine dinner as a fund raiser. They did several a year, and one was very expensive and attracted famous Chicago politicians. Fr. Tomaso would plead his case to them and they'd pressure Cardinal Cody to ease up a little. Fr. Tomaso changed the neighborhood from an old Italian neighborhood with tenements and warehouses into a design center for clothing and expensive art galleries. He still had to go, and they sent him back to Rome and I never heard a word about him again. .It's now comparable to Soho in NYC, and the Assumption has Taize prayer services. If you sit on Franklin and get a beef sandwich from Mr. Beef you can watch the million dollar models half dressed run back and forth to shoots.Fr. Tomaso would make you go to confession, though.

tim 
(01-06-2012, 04:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-06-2012, 04:40 PM)Tim Wrote: Jovan, I didn't do it on purpose. You weren't here yet.  That was really a shocker back then. We should have a little initial next to our moniker like

tim

No offence taken, Tim! Great idea for the 'A'. Hadn't thought of Annie Greensprings in years! LOL

Neither had I!  What about "The Pius XII Generation," Tim?  You came up with that name for us ages ago and I still use it sometimes, often type "The Pius XII Generation" to make it snazzier.

I like it, too !  It sort of stands in opposition to the John Paul II generation we used to hear a lot. You are a "A", too !

tim
(01-06-2012, 06:15 PM)Tim Wrote: I like it, too !  It sort of stands in opposition to the John Paul II generation we used to hear a lot. You are a "A", too !

tim

Yep!  You and I will both be 65 in 2012, I think.  It's good to be on the A Team, right?