After 130 Years Basilica Nears Completion
(01-06-2012, 09:19 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: My Bro & Sis 'n Law live in Barcelona and they tell me it 's an eyesore, they hate it.  I think it looks like a play-dough piece by Tim Burton.  :shrug:

Tim Burton certainly comes to mind. It looks like a stage set in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I like it but I wouldn't want to live there.

2026 isn't that near, either.
(01-06-2012, 07:58 PM)tmw89 Wrote: Gaudi!  Yes!  Everyone needs to watch the Teshigahara documentary!

My only reservation about the Basilica itself is that since the 1960s, Modernist influence has crept into the architecture of the newer sections.  A shame it will probably end up looking like a hodgepodge of different styles...

This.

It has started to seem like one of those houses where each generation adds on and leaves it a mess overall.  This room is Victorian, that one is Art Deco, etc.  (Not that those are the styles involved here, they aren't -- I'm just saying that the styles have changed and it looks hodgepogey.)
From one Catholic's vewpoint:  All Catholic Basilicas, Cathedrals, Churches are "Catechisms in Stone."  Their beauty teach the faith and they are erected only for the glory of God.  If it bothers your aesthetic sensibilities, that is your problem, since perhaps you are accustomed to the gymnatium-like places of worship these modern days.
What a monstrosity.

I'd feel like I was being devoured by a lamprey eel every time I looked up.

[Image: lamprey240.jpg]
More on these "Catechisms in Stone":

Cathedrals, Basilicas, Churches, Oratories, make up the City of God on earth.   "According to St. Augustine, there are two cities: the City of God and the City of Man. The two must "talk" with each other."   A Catholic architect said,

Quote:"They are usually the greatest work of architecture in a city. Historically it's been the Church, not the office building, apartments, or condos."    "The cathedral in the city should be salt and light. We look for architecture that can preach, be seen from the streets. Its placement and size has a conversation with the city architecture. The goal is to bring us all to the City of God."

How else can one envision Heaven when a thing of beauty on earth appears as a :monstrosity?  A modern(ist) will never appreciate these architectural splendors. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's not my favorite style, but I like it. There is, at least, a continuity between Sagrada Familia and earlier styles of Spanish churches. The Spanish Baroque period was marked by a style called Churrigueresque, which uses a lot of what I would call twists and turns. You can see it in the Basilica of Santiago de Compostela.

[Image: 450px-Santiago_GDFL_catedral_050318_43.jpg]

There is far more continuity between that and Sagrada Familia than, say, pre-Reformation English Gothic and the current version of Saint Paul's Cathedral, London. (An Anglican example, but still...)
The last few are magnificent.
It seems to get more beautiful when it gets weathered:
[Image: Sagrada_familia_construction_differences.jpg]

This darker picture makes it look better too:
[Image: 401px-Gaudis_Sagrada_Familia%2C_reflection.jpg]

So I really like the Nativity façade, but the Passion façade really needs to get darker.
I am an architectural purist when it comes to Churches, but I like it. It seems like a Church that would be in Minas tirith from Lord of the Rings. Yeah its a little different but give me this over one of the modernist round warehouse "catholic communities" that were built between the 1960's and early 2000's