After 130 Years Basilica Nears Completion
(01-07-2012, 04:36 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: It's not my favorite style, but I like it. There is, at least, a continuity between Sagrada Familia and earlier styles of Spanish churches. The Spanish Baroque period was marked by a style called Churrigueresque, which uses a lot of what I would call twists and turns. You can see it in the Basilica of Santiago de Compostela.

[Image: 450px-Santiago_GDFL_catedral_050318_43.jpg]

There is far more continuity between that and Sagrada Familia than, say, pre-Reformation English Gothic and the current version of Saint Paul's Cathedral, London. (An Anglican example, but still...)

I agree
Gaudi's original plan was to have it like nature. That's the reason it is not symmetrical in design, but I think that a lot of the current architects (or whatever they're called) working on the Cathedral want it their way rather than Gaudi's original plan. But, like has been said, this building has been constructed for the greater Glory of God. We'll just have to wait for the final product.
(01-15-2012, 08:51 AM)LoyalVIews Wrote: Gaudi's original plan was to have it like nature. That's the reason it is not symmetrical in design, but I think that a lot of the current architects (or whatever they're called) working on the Cathedral want it their way rather than Gaudi's original plan.
I's most noticeable in the statues. The old façade has realistic statues, while the newer one has modern statues and reliefs.
My first thought was stalagmites.

[Image: stalagmites.jpg]