Reading Garrigou-Lagrange
At last, I'm reading a book by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange. The book is called [i]Our Saviour and His Love For Us: Catholic Doctrine on the Interior Life of Christ as it relates to our own Interior Life [i/]. I've been aware of him by reputation for some time now as a Thomist opponent of moderism and, especially, the likes of de Lubac, but I haven't actually committed myself to one of his books until now. I have to report that this book is better than I ever dreamed it might be. Glorious. I think I'll be reading him from now on. He plumbs the depths. It's always wonderful to find such authors.

What was your first book by him? [i] The Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life[i/]?
(01-07-2012, 03:06 AM)alphonsusjr Wrote: At last, I'm reading a book by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange. The book is called Our Saviour and His Love For Us: Catholic Doctrine on the Interior Life of Christ as it relates to our own Interior Life . I've been aware of him by reputation for some time now as a Thomist opponent of moderism and, especially, the likes of de Lubac, but I haven't actually committed myself to one of his books until now. I have to report that this book is better than I ever dreamed it might be. Glorious. I think I'll be reading him from now on. He plumbs the depths. It's always wonderful to find such authors.

What was your first book by him? The Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life?

My first was Reality, though I must admit to skipping around within it!  :blush:
Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life is very good, but the full version (The Three Ages of the Interior Life) is really worth reading. Very detailed and comprehensive, and a great motivator (at least for me) to advance in virtue and the spiritual life.

Accessible website:

http://www.christianperfection.info/
The Mother of Our Saviour and Our Interior Life. If I may make a recommendation, read that then Life Everlasting next.
(01-07-2012, 11:58 AM)McNider Wrote: The Mother of Our Saviour and Our Interior Life. If I may make a recommendation, read that then Life Everlasting next.
"The Mother of Our Saviour" is Garrigou-Lagrange at his best.
Yes, the book on the Mother of the Savior is wonderful. So is the book on our Lord and Savior. The three ages of the spritual life is a lengthy read and although the spiritual life is sometimes almost seemingly a science, I have some difficulty relating it to my own life; it seems more for those in religious life.
(01-07-2012, 03:14 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 11:58 AM)McNider Wrote: The Mother of Our Saviour and Our Interior Life. If I may make a recommendation, read that then Life Everlasting next.
"The Mother of Our Saviour" is Garrigou-Lagrange at his best.

This is good to know. I almost got that one but then opted for the aforementioned book. My impression is that one can't go wrong with any of his books.
(01-07-2012, 07:15 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life is very good, but the full version (The Three Ages of the Interior Life) is really worth reading. Very detailed and comprehensive, and a great motivator (at least for me) to advance in virtue and the spiritual life.

Accessible website:

http://www.christianperfection.info/

I heartily concur with (The Three Ages of the Interior Life).  It is a big two volume set on the journey from the purgative, illuminative and unitive paths to God.

Bishop Williamson is a big supporter of Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange.  He is considered one of the greatest theologians of the 20th century.