Trad/Trad-Friendly Bishops and Cardinals
(01-09-2012, 07:30 PM)ruralpeace Wrote: +JMJ+

I live in the Calgary diocese. Our bishop is not traditional-friendly. As a matter of fact, he's one of the least friendly in Canada.

Not sure where you are getting this information....

He was one of only two bishops in the world to suspend the Latin Mass back in 2009. How soon we forget:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2009/12...wrote.html

Please don't spread such rumours...

There are 72 Dioceses in Canada. Six of the 72 have an Apostolate of the FSSP. I'm not sure about Ottawa, St Catharines, Quebec and Vancouver, but Edmonton, as I pointed out, has a weekly Mass supplied by Priests from Calgary. I'm not saying His Excellency didn't overreact to the government generated swine flu scare (Archbishop Smith in Edmonton forbade CotT at the same time. I just ignored him and had no problem), but to say that Bishop Henry is 'one of the least (Trad) friendly (Bishops) in Canada' is nothing less than calumny.
(01-09-2012, 06:41 PM)Old Salt Wrote: We must remember the only regularized [that I know of] trad bishop, Bishop Rifan of Campos.
A trad bishop that defends the NO? 
(01-09-2012, 07:52 PM)JMartyr Wrote:
(01-09-2012, 06:41 PM)Old Salt Wrote: We must remember the only regularized [that I know of] trad bishop, Bishop Rifan of Campos.

THE FLOOR OF HELL IS PAVED WITH THE SKULLS OF BISHOPS.
Oh, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

(01-09-2012, 01:04 PM)items Wrote: I would say that Bishop Kevin Rhoades is "trad friendly", though not trad. Bishop Rhoades had a positive record when he was our Bishop in the Diocese of Harrisburg. He brought in FSSP to set up a chapel in downtown Harrisburg as well as a convent of traditional Carmelite nuns up in Elysburg. He has since been moved to the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and it's been quite a loss to trads in Central PA. He has also been outspoken on the Obama health care reform initiatives, being one of the bishops to personally sign on as being formally opposed to it pretty soon in the game.

To me, the difference between trad and trad-friendly would probably be the level interest in furthering access to the Latin Mass and their level of "verbosity" with respect to dialogue on matters between SSPX and Diocesan chapels. I had an opportunity to speak with Bp. Rhoades a few times. While I gathered that he supported the Holy Father's efforts to free the Tridentine Mass and wanted the Mater Dei Community to flourish and expand, I did see that the struggles between a few in the hierarchy had taken their toll on him. One thing that also helped in his efforts was that our Auxiliary Bishop at the time, Fr. Waltersheid, celebrated the Tridentine Mass many times as a substitute for our FSSP and Diocesan priests. Someone that close to the Bishop is bound to have influence in day-to-day operations. He is now the Auxiliary Bishop of Pittsburgh. What a loss.
It was sad when Bishop Rhoades got sent to Fort Wayne. I was there the day Mater Dei was formed (it was my first TLM) and it seemed that before he left, Father was hopeful he would upgrade us to quasi-parish. I know +McFadden has been attendance at a missa canatata at Mater Dei, but I'm not sure what his stance is regarding the traditional mass in the diocese.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
A traditional Catholic bishop will always defend the Catholic Mass.
(01-10-2012, 12:50 AM)Old Salt Wrote:
A traditional Catholic bishop will always defend the Catholic Mass.

This, whether they like it or not.
(01-09-2012, 07:44 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-09-2012, 07:30 PM)ruralpeace Wrote: +JMJ+

I live in the Calgary diocese. Our bishop is not traditional-friendly. As a matter of fact, he's one of the least friendly in Canada.

Not sure where you are getting this information....

He was one of only two bishops in the world to suspend the Latin Mass back in 2009. How soon we forget:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2009/12...wrote.html

Please don't spread such rumours...

There are 72 Dioceses in Canada. Six of the 72 have an Apostolate of the FSSP. I'm not sure about Ottawa, St Catharines, Quebec and Vancouver, but Edmonton, as I pointed out, has a weekly Mass supplied by Priests from Calgary. I'm not saying His Excellency didn't overreact to the government generated swine flu scare (Archbishop Smith in Edmonton forbade CotT at the same time. I just ignored him and had no problem), but to say that Bishop Henry is 'one of the least (Trad) friendly (Bishops) in Canada' is nothing less than calumny.

I am very aware of the situation w/the FSSP, TLM et al in Canada. Very "in tune"...

Like I said, I am here in the diocese. He is not a fan of tradtion, or the TLM. No ecumenical olive-branch to TLM community here, or in Medicince Hat, where a chair donated by Mason in 1981 sits on the altar.

While I appreciate your defence of our bishop...  for people here who attend TLM...  to say Bishop Henry is trad-friendly... is close to an insult.  I'm not upset at you; but I am here. Living it, way before the H1N1 event.

TLM was in Calgary prior to Bishop Henry, by the way.

I'll add this below. No to stir the pot, as our Bishop has defended the traditional family. However, he is a huge promoter of Development & Peace, as well. One of the strongest promoters of D&P in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/st...iests.html

I will post no more on this subject. Just needed to defend the TLM community here in the diocese... which continues to grow, thanks to the FSSP.

Cardinal Collins is FSSP-friendly, by the way.
(01-10-2012, 01:15 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: I am very aware of the situation w/the FSSP, TLM et al in Canada. Very "in tune"...

Like I said, I am here in the diocese. He is not a fan of tradtion, or the TLM. No ecumenical olive-branch to TLM community here, or in Medicince Hat, where a chair donated by Mason in 1981 sits on the altar.

While I appreciate your defence of our bishop...  for people here who attend TLM...  to say Bishop Henry is trad-friendly... is close to an insult.  I'm not upset at you; but I am here. Living it, way before the H1N1 event.

I'll add this below. No to stir the pot, as our Bishop has defended the traditional family. However, he is a huge promoter of Development & Peace, as well. One of the strongest promoters of D&P in Canada.

I will post no more on this subject. Just needed to defend the TLM community here in the diocese... which continues to grow, thanks to the FSSP.

As I said, SIX out of SEVENTY TWO dioceses in Canada have an FSSP Apostolate. The facts speak for themselves.
(01-10-2012, 01:18 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-10-2012, 01:15 AM)ruralpeace Wrote: I am very aware of the situation w/the FSSP, TLM et al in Canada. Very "in tune"...

As I said, SIX out of SEVENTY TWO dioceses in Canada have an FSSP Apostolate. The facts speak for themselves.

I am here. Living it. From the inside.

You are not.

Those facts speask for themselves.

+JMJ+