Diamond versus a typical "Catholic in good standing". Who seems more rational ?
(01-15-2012, 04:30 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Seems to me there is no real practical argument for married Priests. It all comes down to the issues of self control, ie, those who have none should get married. Such an individual probably isn't a good candidate to start with and of course even married people often demonstrate no self control so it likely isn't the magic bullet some of us believe it to be.

How does this apply as it pertains to sodomite priests (and a smaller amount of straight priests) currently, as well as a long history of clerics visiting brothels, having illegitimate children from mistresses, etc?  Did these men (of which there are many) chose the wrong vocation?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-15-2012, 04:08 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: You're reacting emotionally to this issue, not rationally.

Mmm...I guess that's why I keep raising all these practical issues surrounding married Priests then... ???
(01-15-2012, 04:32 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: How does this apply as it pertains to sodomite priests (and a smaller amount of straight priests) currently, as well as a long history of clerics visiting brothels, having illegitimate children from mistresses, etc?  Did these men (of which there are many) chose the wrong vocation?

Errr....clearly they did make the wrong choice.Hardly the ideal Priestly examples you just cited there.This is why we have long periods of seminary training,to weed such people out as best we can.Not bullet proof but this is why we also have defrockings. Of ocurse the process of weeding out has long been abandoned.Unless you have a strong Marion devotion,then you will likely be sent for counseling as Michael Rose has detailed in his book, "Good bye Good men".
(01-15-2012, 04:34 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(01-15-2012, 04:32 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: How does this apply as it pertains to sodomite priests (and a smaller amount of straight priests) currently, as well as a long history of clerics visiting brothels, having illegitimate children from mistresses, etc?  Did these men (of which there are many) chose the wrong vocation?

Errr....clearly they did make the wrong choice.Hardly the ideal Priestly examples you just cited there.This is why we have long periods of seminary training,to weed such people out as best we can.Not bullet proof but this is why we also have defrockings.

Obviously that's not working.  In fact, it looks like seminaries have never, at least as far as history tells us, weeded out all the priests who were going to break their celibacy vows.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(01-15-2012, 04:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Obviously that's not working.  In fact, it looks like seminaries have never, at least as far as history tells us, weeded out all the priests who were going to break their celibacy vows.

Come on now,you honestly think this is realistic ? This is why we also have Hell.Final Justice.Are you saying non celibate people never sin? Give me a break...
(01-15-2012, 04:44 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(01-15-2012, 04:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Obviously that's not working.  In fact, it looks like seminaries have never, at least as far as history tells us, weeded out all the priests who were going to break their celibacy vows.

Come on now,you honestly think this realistic ? This is why we also have Hell.Final Justice.Are you saying non celibate people never sin? Give me a break...

I don't understand what you're asking me.  I said that seminaries have not really done that much in keeping priests celibate.  What is the question about being realistic you are asking?

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(01-15-2012, 04:48 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I don't understand what you're asking me.

There is no helping you then...
(01-15-2012, 04:48 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:   I said that seminaries have not really done that much in keeping priests celibate. 

That's not their job for starters.Weeding out those who have no self control,as best they can, is all one can expect. Difficult concept? Only the individual can keep himself celibate in the final analysis.If he fails he will have to deal with the Final Judge on that score.

(01-15-2012, 04:54 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(01-15-2012, 04:48 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:   I said that seminaries have not really done that much in keeping priests celibate. 

That's not their job for starters.Weeding out those who have no self control,as best they can, is all one can expect. Difficult concept? Only the individual can keep himself celibate in the final analysis.If he fails he will have to deal with the Final Judge on that score.

Funny that you're saying these things as if I said something contrary to them.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(01-15-2012, 04:58 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Funny that you're saying these things as if I said something contrary to them.

Ok,now your just being obtuse and a belligerent. Your ignored for the duration of the rest of this thread as far as I'm concerned.If you can't follow the thread of your own postings as they relate to the matters at hand you need to think about not wasting everyone's time.