Cardinal George Apologizes to the Homosexuals
(01-17-2012, 07:08 PM)Norbert Wrote: When have people on this forum been calling "sexually continent" people with same sex attraction sodomites?  And how many of those do modern catholics actually think there are?  I'm getting tired of acting like there's this whole horde of celibate "gay people" who "know they're gay". The only people I know are people who deny they're gay, people who believe they struggle with same sex attraction but chose straight life and family anyway (those DO exist) and active gay people.  Every one of the (many) people I know who have ssa are in practicing gay relationships.  Except for baby boomers who have children and spouses, live in protestant churches, and have given up that lifestyle.

I know people with ssa who are sexually continent.  There is an organization for Catholics like this, called "Courage".
(01-17-2012, 07:26 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-17-2012, 07:08 PM)Norbert Wrote: When have people on this forum been calling "sexually continent" people with same sex attraction sodomites?  And how many of those do modern catholics actually think there are?  I'm getting tired of acting like there's this whole horde of celibate "gay people" who "know they're gay". The only people I know are people who deny they're gay, people who believe they struggle with same sex attraction but chose straight life and family anyway (those DO exist) and active gay people.  Every one of the (many) people I know who have ssa are in practicing gay relationships.  Except for baby boomers who have children and spouses, live in protestant churches, and have given up that lifestyle.

I know people with ssa who are sexually continent.  There is an organization for Catholics like this, called "Courage".

I reiterate: when are tank-swimmers attacking practicing celibate catholics?
blah
It seems to me that there are plenty more things on this forum besides this topic that can drive people away.   In all likelihood, this isn't the worst of the problems.  I mean, at least they aren't being referred to as satanists (something which has pretty much been alluded to about other persons on more than one occasion).  Personally, I don't like pulling the "love one another" card because it's taken completely out of context by a good share of people.  I had a debate regarding homosexuals and homosexual activity with a person, and he pulled that one me despite that I never said a single mean thing about the homos.   Too many people fail to realize that criticism isn't the same thing as hate and also fail to realize that others may be trying to do another a favor by giving them a knock on the head.     

Debate opponent:  You're being down on these people.  Shouldn't you just love them?  They're humans like us!

Me:  Hello!  I'm trying to help them find their way to heaven.  Letting a person find his way to the "other place" isn't being too charitable!

EDIT:  Just to be clear, I'm talking about those who are engaging in homosexual acts.  I think that it should be obvious that I am, but this is just to make sure.
(01-17-2012, 07:08 PM)Norbert Wrote:
(01-17-2012, 03:47 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: I am about people speaking in charity and using prudence and intelligence. The problem with the word "sodomite" is that the word now refers to those who engage in anal sex. Not all homosexuals do that or are inclined to do that. Therefore, using the word to mean "homosexual" (especially when straight people perform the same act) is just incorrect. It's also needlessly inflammatory and, from what I've seen, is used to VENT rather than to honestly discuss; it's used as some sort of weapon rather than as an accurately descriptive word.

Any traditional Catholic is going to be against the activists' agenda of condoning same sex "marriage" and "normalizing" homosexuality. But I, as a trad, also love homosexual people and want them to come to Christ's Church, which is a Hospital for Sinners. Even lil ole me. And you, whoever you are and whatever your sins and inclinations to sin are. I do not want for any Catholic who has homosexual inclinations to come to this forum and see himself referred to pejoratively, with anger, and without LOVE. I am so sickened and saddened by this that I often feel like taking the forum down rather than risking having even one soul leave the Church because of it. I can't bear the thought of it. For someone to forsake Christ because of what he sees, mistakenly, as "what the Church teaches" because of some posters' anger (often times righteous, albeit) and unwillingness to guard their tongues means that this forum will have destroyed the very purpose of the site, which is to bring souls TO Lord Christ, Who came to offer salvation to us ALL.

Sometimes I think that too many here simply lack imagination, are unable to imagine what it would be life for them if they were homosexual. What if it were you who knew from childhood that you were "different"? What if it were you who never felt attracted to the opposite sex but hungered for intimacy with someone of your own? What if? How would you want to be treated? Say you were such a person and you also loved Christ, came to believe in Him and wanted to follow His will? What would you feel if you were to visit a forum like this and see yourself referred to as "pervert" ("well, it's accurate!") or "sodomite" (even though you live a sexually continent life)? What if it weren't you, but your son or your daughter? THINK about this, for the love of all that is holy. How do you truly think Our Lord would treat and talk to such a person?

Please, let's try to love one another. Please.

When have people on this forum been calling "sexually continent" people with same sex attraction sodomites?  And how many of those do modern catholics actually think there are?  I'm getting tired of acting like there's this whole horde of celibate "gay people" who "know they're gay". The only people I know are people who deny they're gay, people who believe they struggle with same sex attraction but chose straight life and family anyway (those DO exist) and active gay people.  Every one of the (many) people I know who have ssa are in practicing gay relationships.  Except for baby boomers who have children and spouses, live in protestant churches, and have given up that lifestyle.

There is a guy named... Gershawn? Gershwin? Well that is his last name, something like that. Anyhow, he has a blog called something like "happy gay and Catholic". He has SSA and is chaste, and openly and in an orthodox way relates his day to day struggles and stuff on his blog. I checked it out a while back after hearing him on the radio, some of his blog is a bit... ummm, well some of it is feminine-y, but for the most part he is loud and proud about being chaste and Catholic despite having an attraction to the same sex. I respect him for that, and I think he is doing a lot of good work dispelling myths and helping others like him. Better than a video a gay colleague sent me once from a supposed Catholic called "How to be Catholic and gay" - basically telling people to ignore natural law and the Church, be 'fabulous', take your boyfriend to Mass and abuse the sacraments.