Anti Popes
how many anti popes exist in this day in age?
The Wiki article on Conclavism lists about 4 or 5 IIRC. However, I am certain more exist. In total, I would guess somewhere around 10 people today, who are not pope, believe themselves to be pope of the Catholic Church.
(01-14-2012, 01:13 PM)SPB Wrote: The Wiki article on Conclavism lists about 4 or 5 IIRC. However, I am certain more exist. In total, I would guess somewhere around 10 people today, who are not pope, believe themselves to be pope of the Catholic Church.

Really, I would guess more.

But antipopes who have some sort of recognition even if by a few others, about 10 sounds like a reasonable guess.
(01-14-2012, 01:48 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(01-14-2012, 01:13 PM)SPB Wrote: The Wiki article on Conclavism lists about 4 or 5 IIRC. However, I am certain more exist. In total, I would guess somewhere around 10 people today, who are not pope, believe themselves to be pope of the Catholic Church.

Really, I would guess more.

But antipopes who have some sort of recognition even if by a few others, about 10 sounds like a reasonable guess.

Sorry yes, I meant to add that caveat. I am certain at least 50 think they are pope, just as probably that many think they are president of America, but we know where they all are (mental home). I mean that only about 10 today have a following of any kind and pretend to say the Mass etc.

Would the sedes say the popes since Vat. 2 are anti-popes?
(01-14-2012, 05:37 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: Would the sedes say the popes since Vat. 2 are anti-popes?

I suppose so.
(01-14-2012, 06:08 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(01-14-2012, 05:37 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: Would the sedes say the popes since Vat. 2 are anti-popes?

I suppose so.
Interesting question. I am not versed in the sede cook thinking. But, I can imagine that the sedes (depending on the sede variant, but for arguments sake, well go with the post-v2 sedes) do not recognize any the Popes after Pius XII. So I think they don't even refer to them as anti-popes, because (to their wierdo belief system), they have no legitimate authority and the seat has been vacant beforehand.

I can imagine that is what they think,err...believe.

But  not all sedes are kooks.  For example, Fr. Cekada is a sedevacantist and is a respected scholar.

I am sure in all times there have been delusional people who think themselves Pope, but generally the term anti-pope is reserved to those that posed some sort of significant opposition to the actual Pope. This happened historically mostly when the papacy had a much larger temporal role and was very much involved in European politics. It almost never had to do with doctrine, but rather with political factionalism. There's a couple exceptions to this that I know of: the concilliarist puppet anti-pope Felix V (Amadeus of Savoy) and St. Hippolytus (who was later reconciled and martyred.).

St. Hippolytus is probably the closest thing to the modern "antipope" phenomenon. He saw a lot of problems in the Church (e.g. widespread contraception, abortion, and lenient rules on re-marriages) and he accused Popes Sts. Zephyrinius and Callistus I of being Sabellians and trying to unite the Sabellians and orthodox people under one big-tent Church. So, he declared their church no longer the true church and made himself and his band the one true Church. Later, during the persecutions, he met Pope St. Pontianus in the salt mines, he was reconciled, wrote to his followers to do the same, and the Pope and former antipope were martyred (they now share a feast day).

Check out chapters 2, 6, and 7 in this book by St. Hippolytus for a good example of what I'm talking about (note, at this time Zephyrinius is Pope, but the Callistus referenced would become his future successor):
http://www.oldwritings.com/writings/text...ytus9.html

Make sure you all check the definition of anti-pope. It is a person who sets themselves up as pope when there is a validly elected pope in the Chair of Peter already.

So the sede's wouldn't be recognizing an anti-pope, as I understand it. Someone could correct me.

I used to think anti-pope meant someone who was recognized as an historically crappy pope. Duh.