The topper
(01-14-2012, 07:46 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: I've seen enough.
http://yourlife.usatoday.com/parenting-f...52504758/1
[Image: 01-pg-horizontal.jpg]
Bendito is the name of the dog.
Bendito in spanish means blessed.

And people have doubts whether or not to attend an SSPX Mass.

Nice Christmas tree in the background though.

And oh, that gorgeous stole! (over the chasuble)
Too much room for bread and circuses with the novus ordo. 

What will be the next novelty?  Oh, I've got it.  Big screen tvs, a keg, and having the Mass during commercial breaks of football games.  The people will just looooove that.  Attendance will flourish!

i think priests who have pets, especially dogs, are probably happier with their lives and may be better priests as a result.  they're not allowed wives, children, or lovers, and it's nice to come home to someone who's glad to see you, even if that someone is a dog or cat.  i think having a pet to cuddle with and talk baby-talk to would help people living a life of chastity.

but it's more appropriate for parishioners to see the priest's dog(s) before or after Mass.  in my parish, years ago, Fr. M. would let his Lab out of the rectory after each Mass.  that was fine.

i think having dogs in the sanctuary is inappropriate but it disturbs me less than Masses where the priest is dressed up as a clown or wearing a huge wedge of "cheese" on his head.  having dogs around is not as goofy as those stunts. 

but it is making Mass too much about Father and his dogs.  that's the real problem here.

i have read comments from priests who've said both the OF and EF and said that just saying Mass ad orientem changes everything because you realize that you're no longer a performer.  i don't think they had realized they were performers in the OF until they experienced saying Mass facing God.

I think a priest having a dog would be detrimental to his parishioners. What if he had to give a sacramental emergency and his dog got hit by a car on the way out? Or his cat ate one of his socks right before Mass and was dying?
(01-15-2012, 01:11 AM)Heinrich Wrote: I think a priest having a dog would be detrimental to his parishioners. What if he had to give a sacramental emergency and his dog got hit by a car on the way out? Or his cat ate one of his socks right before Mass and was dying?

good points but years ago, a man in my parish had a heart attack in the parking lot on monday night, after arriving for the K of C meeting.  his son was there and went to the rectory.  the priest (Fr. D, not the one with the Lab) refused to come out because it was his day off. 

the man died.  i only heard about this years later, from the widow.  i liked Fr. D. and it does not compute to me that he wouldn't walk outside to see a parishioner who'd collapsed in the parking lot but i don't think the son and widow would lie, either.

i think most priests with pets who had a pet emergency conflicting with their obligations would quickly find somebody else to take the animal to the vet.

People have lost the sense of meaning in just about everything.

Craftsmanship has fallen to the temporary shiny cheapness of mass production.  Effective command of language and communication has been supplanted by credentialization and degree milling.  And abstract concepts like Justice, Hope, Faith, Loyalty, Omnipotence, Omniscience, etc. have been obliterated in the minds of many.

Why oh why can’t people order things correctly?  Dogs and cats and goldfish are great companions but not in the Sanctuary, where, as the FSSP Priest in the audio link stated, we are closest to God and in the holiest space in the universe.

If God holds off on serious chastisements this decade, I have no doubt that many churches in legal communion with Rome will go the way of neo-Protestants and adopt huge auditorium entertainment centers as ‘worship.’

That is, quoting the Spartans, if.
(01-14-2012, 11:02 PM)onosurf Wrote: Too much room for bread and circuses with the novus ordo. 

What will be the next novelty?  Oh, I've got it.  Big screen tvs, a keg, and having the Mass during commercial breaks of football games.  The people will just looooove that.  Attendance will flourish!

Too late!
[Image: 436c95e3cf6777b8dbe25c03e0006876.jpg]

[Image: ept_sports_sow_experts-40900582-12788687...DD7meRGIup]

[Image: ept_sports_sow_experts-614583878-1278868...DDlt36Q9AE]

[Image: religious_meeting-450x350.jpg]

I can just hear the chorus of fisheaters now: "But as long as it was valid . . . !"

Thanks be to God that the Dutch bishop suspended him for his lack of discretion.
God bless the SSPX.
(01-15-2012, 01:11 AM)Heinrich Wrote: I think a priest having a dog would be detrimental to his parishioners. What if he had to give a sacramental emergency and his dog got hit by a car on the way out? Or his cat ate one of his socks right before Mass and was dying?

He could call on a friend to help till Mass was over. My mother's parish priesr has a huge great dane, The dog is a horse. The parish is in a bad part of town, and I know the dog is a deterrent to breakins.
(01-15-2012, 06:32 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: God bless the SSPX.

:)