Aspartame Linked to Cancer, Contains Genetically Modified Bacteria
(01-16-2012, 08:02 PM)Tim Wrote: Canada Dry Diet Ginger Ale is excellent, and it is my drink of choice during the day, it figures, next stop the cancer treatment.

tim

Not to change the subject, but Canada Dry doesn't even taste like ginger ale.  Try Reed's if you want to taste the ginger.    :)
I've neer seen Reed. I like Schweppes better but it comes in 2 litre plastic bottles only. Canfield or Segrams are bad to my taste buds. Where is reeds made ?

tim
(01-16-2012, 08:33 PM)Tim Wrote: I've neer seen Reed. I like Schweppes better but it comes in 2 litre plastic bottles only. Canfield or Segrams are bad to my taste buds. Where is reeds made ?

tim

It looks like California, though I live near Chicago and can find it.  Generally natural food stores are the ones that carry it, though you may be able to find it at some bigger name stores that have natural food sections.  Be warned that my relatives who really like the Canada Dry/Schweppe's style ginger ale couldn't handle Reed's.  I also like Outrageous Ginger Ale, but I think that's actually made by one of the giant food corporations.
(01-16-2012, 08:10 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: When I first moved to the Philippines three years ago I was delighted to find that 7Up was still made with cane sugar here.  I love it!  Well, now they are switching over to the corn syrup crap.   :realmad:

On the rare occsion I crave a Coke I have to find out of the way corner stores that sell the Mexican stuff for the same reason.Although Wegman's now also stops Mexican Cola
I don't know when they made the switch from real sugar to corn syrup in the States but I figure it was either before I was born or when I was really young.  And it seems to show.  I've tried a number of those throw-back sodas without the corn syrup recently and I didn't like any of them as much as I like the normal ones.
High fructose corn syrup is no better for you than aspartame.  Also, consider that corn is the most highly genetically modified crop that the FDA has released on the environment.  I don't want to derail by going into GMO's but they are wreaking havoc on our food system and taking their toll on our physical and environmental health.  I though I was doing myself a favor years ago by switching do diet soda and I know it's a hard addiction to break but consider what kind of habits you want your children to develop.

Quote:By Dr. Joseph Mercola
    with Rachael Droege

You may already be familiar with the dangers of fructose that I’ve warned about in the past, but what you may not know is that high-fructose corn sweeteners that have been used to sweeten soft drinks and food since the 1970s are major contributors to the obesity epidemic in the United States.

The lead article of the April 2004 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition features this issue and the researchers say consumption of high-fructose corn sweeteners increased more than 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, far exceeding changes in intake of any other food or food group.

Food and beverage manufacturers began switching their sweeteners from sucrose (table sugar) to corn syrup in the 1970s when they discovered that high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) was cheaper to make and about 20% sweeter

link to source - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...n-fat.aspx

Some other articles at his site:

[Image: HFCS.png]
(01-18-2012, 10:13 AM)Walty Wrote: I don't know when they made the switch from real sugar to corn syrup in the States but I figure it was either before I was born or when I was really young.  And it seems to show.  I've tried a number of those throw-back sodas without the corn syrup recently and I didn't like any of them as much as I like the normal ones.

I've heard that it was the embargo of Cuba when Castro took that started it, with higher sugar prices.  I don't mind the "throwback sodas though.
Check out the "King Corn" documentary to see how gross and unnatural High Fructose syrup actually is.
(01-17-2012, 08:54 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(01-16-2012, 08:10 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: When I first moved to the Philippines three years ago I was delighted to find that 7Up was still made with cane sugar here.  I love it!  Well, now they are switching over to the corn syrup crap.   :realmad:

On the rare occsion I crave a Coke I have to find out of the way corner stores that sell the Mexican stuff for the same reason.Although Wegman's now also stops Mexican Cola

I remember sipping Sprite, 7 Up, and Coke on one of the islands when I was there ten years ago...good times.

Whenever I go to a taqueria, its Mexi-Coke or Mexi-Pepsi. The real deal!