what to wear for sports?
ETA I'm a jerk.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-26-2012, 08:10 PM)Protrident Wrote: I know there are some great women on this thread and on this forum!  I didn't overlook those that had great recommendations, but I would disagree with the general implication that circumstances affect what is modest.  If the opposite sex is around, even 1 or 2, there's a certain level to maintain.  Why would it be ok to sin with those 1 or 2?  It's small enough and ok to add to your soul?  When you're alone in the bathroom, there is no opposite sex to worry about being modest for, you are modest for your own eyes at that point.  (nice try Spooky! hehe)

We've talked about our daughters and in what they will participate.  We try and base our house rules on the advice of great priests such as you find on AudioSancto and our current priest who had a few sermons on there.  We didn't feel that sports, which fosters aggression, physicality, and a competitive nature was fitting a lady, so they won't participate in those types of sports.  If there's some sport not like that, then by all means.  That gets rid of the "what to wear" question.  Learning music, singing, dance, languages, reading clubs, etc, those things teach grace which should be held up as more important.  

(disclaimer, not talking about everyone or anyone, just our situation.  I know there are great people doing great things on this forum.).... I might add that to my sig! haha.

additions for new posts:   If I'm wrong, can you please provide sermons where FSSP/SSPX priests said it was ok to do the things my family thought not?  Also, Mith, your last question, that's called "Vanity", one of those 7 Deadly Sins.  Kayla, I think you answered your own question.  AT THAT POOL there were bikinis, hence the advice to stay away from it.  Those women didn't have to wear that, which is what I posted already.  You are completely correct, there is a middle ground, wear that which is modest and go swimming.

Someone said "everything in moderation."  I won't moderately do what is asked of me by God.  I go full steam ahead in my love of God and in supreme hate of sin.  Other than that, yes moderation.

Vanity is not the same as wanting to look good, vanity is the extremity of that. Just like wanting to eat is not being glutenous. If wanting to look good was a sin in and of itself we wouldn’t be allowed to wear makeup or brush our hair and we would all be wearing burlap sacs. Also, there is something to be said about staying in shape for one’s spouse. Feeling that you look good is also good for one’s self esteem, which is important for a person’s mental health. The problem I have with a lot of your posts is that you do tend to take things to extremes, and then you contradict yourself. Just in this post you said that wanting to look good = vanity = deadly sin but then you admit there is a middle ground. ??? Sorry I don’t have a SSPX sermon handy, but that is not a requirement for posting on FE.

I do have this though:

dictionary.com Wrote:van·i·ty
excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain;  conceit: Failure to be elected was a great blow to his vanity.
2. an instance or display of this quality or feeling.
3. something about which one is vain.
4. lack of real value; hollowness; worthlessness: the vanity of a selfish life.
5. something worthless, trivial, or pointless.
(01-26-2012, 08:10 PM)Protrident Wrote: We've talked about our daughters and in what they will participate.  We try and base our house rules on the advice of great priests such as you find on AudioSancto and our current priest who had a few sermons on there.  We didn't feel that sports, which fosters aggression, physicality, and a competitive nature was fitting a lady, so they won't participate in those types of sports.  If there's some sport not like that, then by all means...

I tend to disagree.  I'm not quite sure which sports you are talking about.  If you are talking about team sports, they do not foster aggression, but rather team work and friendships.  I've always been a 'sporty' kind of girl and I was in the track and basketball teams.  I am not aggressive, in fact I'm anything but that (unless, of course, you mess with my kids).  I am very competitive, but not just in sports but in anything like board games and such.  I think competitiveness comes with a person's own personality not from sports.  If you think a woman should not be competitive then maybe she should refrain herself from playing any kind game.  I'm very lucky my father took me and my siblings out with him to run, swim, skate, shoot hoops etc., we formed very beautiful memories, but what I'm most thankful for is that he taught me to defend myself in case I ever found myself in any unfortunate situation.  I have not lost my femininity for doing such things.  I always still came home and wanted to change into my princess dress and played with my dolls.  I'm also lucky to have had a mother than taught me how to be a proper lady.  Oh, and I can also sew and cook and care for my children with all the care a mother should give.  I too will teach my daughter all of these things.  My husband agrees that she should know how to defend herself as well.  Nothing wrong with that.  I don't care if it's not fitting for a lady, if she finds herself where we never want our daughters to be I want her to BE aggressive. 
Fr. Lawrence Novak SSPX personally told me: "you can do whatever you want, as long as you don't sin" Well.. running up and down a court passing a ball around and shooting a hoop is not sinful.  Hitting a ball with a racket is not sinful, running around a track is not sinful, hitting a ball with a bat is not sinful. 
I will tell my daughter the same.  She can do whatever she wants, as long as its not sinful.  I will teach her when it is and it is not appropriate to be competitive.
(01-26-2012, 08:04 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Why does it have to be so black or white, why do we only get the choice between not swimming and bikinis? Yes if a women in a suit is an occasion of sin for you then you shouldn’t go, but that doesn’t mean that no one can swim.

You pose a false choice. Modesty doesn't require that you not swim. It requires that you don't wear panties and a bra, in effect, while doing so. Your attitude is most uncharitable, as explained here:

http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200504...ments.html

It was in fact that very priest who told me to stop going to the pool.
How about wearing this for sports?

[Image: redblackcombo.jpg]
(01-26-2012, 11:57 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:04 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Why does it have to be so black or white, why do we only get the choice between not swimming and bikinis? Yes if a women in a suit is an occasion of sin for you then you shouldn’t go, but that doesn’t mean that no one can swim.

You pose a false choice. Modesty doesn't require that you not swim. It requires that you don't wear panties and bra, in effect, while doing so. Your attitude is most uncharitable, as explained here:

http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200504...ments.html

She was probably saying that because you said what you did in response to Protrident saying that people probably shouldn't swim because it isn't modest.  
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-27-2012, 12:08 AM)The Curt Jester Wrote: How about wearing this for sports?

:LOL: noooo! they're pants!  :P
(01-27-2012, 01:15 AM)MaidenofGod Wrote:

:LOL: noooo! they're pants!  :P

Interesting story.  My grandfather went fishing wearing baggy pants like knickers.  He had them tucked into his boots.  Well, when he had to wade out into the water for something (I think to grab a line), the pants filled with water and pulled him down underneath.  He had to walk (with difficulty) on the bottom of the pond until he could get his head above water again. 

Moral of the story is that knickers may work for golf, but not for fishing!
(01-26-2012, 08:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: ]
A significant part of modesty, not usually addressed, is drawing undue attention to one's self.  This is also subjective, but I could argue that wearing a *physically modest outfit* in public that is dated to 1840 or 1910 or even 1960 is immodest.  Remember this when you're giving examples of what is modest in dress.  I think that sometimes, the most modest thing for a woman to do is wear pants.  That's much more modest than looking like she just got off the set of Mad Men.

The problem with this philosophy is that we change our standards on sinful behavior based on the secular, and largely demon-influenced culture. Following this theory, .If I ever stumble onto a nude beach I guess I will have to walk around naked or I would draw too much attention  to myself by wearing clothes. Now nudity is not a sin? I know it sounds extreme to us but 100years ago people considered the one piece bathing suits that women wear today to be pretty much nude and now it is modest. This is the direction our society is going and if we keep worrying about not standing out, we will only continue to make excuses for following culture and not God. 

If he had a bowtie that matched his socks, it would be perfect!