what to wear for sports?
Cardinal Pla y Daniel, Archbishop of Toledo, Spain, stated in 1959: 

"A special danger to morals is represented by public bathing at beaches...  Mixed bathing between men and women, which is nearly always a proximate occasion of sin and a scandal, must be avoided."

See:

http://olrl.org/virtues/modcrus.shtml

(01-27-2012, 03:01 AM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Cardinal Pla y Daniel, Archbishop of Toledo, Spain, stated in 1959: 

"A special danger to morals is represented by public bathing at beaches...  Mixed bathing between men and women, which is nearly always a proximate occasion of sin and a scandal, must be avoided."

See:

http://olrl.org/virtues/modcrus.shtml
Good article!
Whenever I take my family to the beach, we always go to a secluded area. Actually, a secluded beach.
In Mexico, there are plenty!
(01-26-2012, 11:57 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:04 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Why does it have to be so black or white, why do we only get the choice between not swimming and bikinis? Yes if a women in a suit is an occasion of sin for you then you shouldn’t go, but that doesn’t mean that no one can swim.

You pose a false choice. Modesty doesn't require that you not swim. It requires that you don't wear panties and a bra, in effect, while doing so. Your attitude is most uncharitable, as explained here:

I don’t know what was so uncharitable about what I said. I think maybe you misunderstood me. We are in agreement. I don’t think bikinis are modest. I wouldn’t wear one, and I am not advocating that anyone else does. Those that find going to the beach an occasion of sin should not go, I agree. I was arguing against the implication that there can be no middle ground between not going to the beach or wearing a bikini. I was arguing that there is the choice to go to the beach and NOT wear a bikini. So now I’m very confused.  ???
Also, this thread has derailed. The OP was asking advice on what to wear for bike riding and roller blading, not swimming. We just had a swimsuit thread a month ago. Just sayin’  :grin:
(01-27-2012, 02:11 AM)Gakmo Wrote:
(01-26-2012, 08:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: ]
A significant part of modesty, not usually addressed, is drawing undue attention to one's self.  This is also subjective, but I could argue that wearing a *physically modest outfit* in public that is dated to 1840 or 1910 or even 1960 is immodest.  Remember this when you're giving examples of what is modest in dress.  I think that sometimes, the most modest thing for a woman to do is wear pants.  That's much more modest than looking like she just got off the set of Mad Men.

The problem with this philosophy is that we change our standards on sinful behavior based on the secular, and largely demon-influenced culture. Following this theory, .If I ever stumble onto a nude beach I guess I will have to walk around naked or I would draw too much attention  to myself by wearing clothes. Now nudity is not a sin? I know it sounds extreme to us but 100years ago people considered the one piece bathing suits that women wear today to be pretty much nude and now it is modest. This is the direction our society is going and if we keep worrying about not standing out, we will only continue to make excuses for following culture and not God. 

It does not change a standard on a sinful behavior.  It has yet to be established that pants are sinful.  Besides that, I'm not advocating "fitting in" necessarily" as I am advocating NOT sticking out like a sore thumb.  It's very subjective.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-27-2012, 09:01 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Also, this thread has derailed. The OP was asking advice on what to wear for bike riding and roller blading, not swimming. We just had a swimsuit thread a month ago. Just sayin’  :grin:

Tbh, if the OP hasn't got at least a decent grasp on modesty after about 100 plus pages of it devoted to threads she's started, I'm not sure if there's much more we can do.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-27-2012, 10:05 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 09:01 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Also, this thread has derailed. The OP was asking advice on what to wear for bike riding and roller blading, not swimming. We just had a swimsuit thread a month ago. Just sayin’  :grin:

Tbh, if the OP hasn't got at least a decent grasp on modesty after about 100 plus pages of it devoted to threads she's started, I'm not sure if there's much more we can do.

I read things about modesty that are different from the idea that it's something subjective.
Interesting discussion...

Regarding my situation, - I'm not talking about gyms or swimming... if I were to do this, it would be only with other women, and I'd wear something modest. I'm just talking about roller blading, jogging, etc :) I understand that there are more modest pants out there, but then there's the whole argument from natural law.. I don't know. But for those of you who wear skirts for these types of things, how did you convince others (who might have wondered) that it's not something strange to do? did someone ever ask you, why you're wearing a skirt?
what about wearing a skirt  thats about mid-thigh length, and wearing a pair of cropped leggings underneath?  that would look 'sporty' ...  that way, your skin is covered by the leggings, so the skirt isn't too short, but you're also covering your bum with the drapeyness of the skirt, so nobody is going to have their eye drawn to that.... sort of the idea of tying a jacket around your waist to cover up the rear.... 
(03-25-2012, 07:25 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: I'm just talking about roller blading, jogging, etc :) I understand that there are more modest pants out there, but then there's the whole argument from natural law.. I don't know. But for those of you who wear skirts for these types of things, how did you convince others (who might have wondered) that it's not something strange to do? did someone ever ask you, why you're wearing a skirt?

I don't talk to people when I'm jogging.