MARIJUANA
(01-21-2012, 12:16 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: And who are you to decide that alcohol serves a purpose but marijuana does not?
I did not decide anything. Alcohol historically has had a very important purpose.

And who am I? A rational human being who does not make excuses about abusing one's body.

Quote: Is recreational use of alcohol a moral evil? Is recreational use of tobacco products a moral evil?
Do you think they are virtuous?
(01-21-2012, 01:23 PM)su Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 12:16 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: And who are you to decide that alcohol serves a purpose but marijuana does not?
I did not decide anything. Alcohol historically has had a very important purpose.

And who am I? A rational human being who does not make excuses about abusing one's body.

Quote: Is recreational use of alcohol a moral evil? Is recreational use of tobacco products a moral evil?

Moderation in drinking is certainly a virtue.
(01-21-2012, 01:26 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:

Moderation in drinking is certainly a virtue.
I did not say it wasn't and that wasn't the question.

The issue is what "moderation" means. It does not mean "in the middle". Moderation is Lukewarm in that sense.
It's surprising how something that is not at bad as another is acceptable.

Oh, I can commit venial sins and not fret about it, because, well, they are not as bad as mortal sins!

This is what is being proposed here. MJ is not as bad as alcohol, so MJ should be legal and consumed in moderation.
WOW
(01-21-2012, 12:39 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Smoking pot is low-class and trashy; nevertheless, I don't see why it should be illegal.

It's not a good thing to speak of other Catholics as being possibly "low class".  I'm "low class" but don't smoke the stuff. 
(01-21-2012, 05:47 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 12:39 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Smoking pot is low-class and trashy; nevertheless, I don't see why it should be illegal.

It's not a good thing to speak of other Catholics as being possibly "low class".  I'm "low class" but don't smoke the stuff. 

I was slightly taken aback by Resurrexi's comment, myself... I mean, if it's something both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have smoked, can it really be considered "low class"?
(01-21-2012, 05:54 PM)tmw89 Wrote:

I was slightly taken aback by Resurrexi's comment, myself... I mean, if it's something both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have smoked, can it really be considered "low class"?

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are low class.

They are/were greedy, hostile to technology, and restrictive.

Having a lot of money is not high class.
su said [[/quote]

Are we Taoists or pagans?

"Moderation" as a proper course of action does not mean "a little bit of everything and anything". It refers to proper "moderation" of what is essentially good.

Moderation is Lukewarm

Moderation in regards to alcohol is a thing because alcoholic drinks are actually serving a real purpose but it must be moderated to avoid ill effects. And of course, if it is not necessary or useful, then how can there be any "moderation"?

[/quote]

Su, if someone says something you do not agree with do you habitually insinuate they are un-Catholic? I am new here and not accustomed to the ways of the place.

To be clear: I do not smoke pot or use it in any way. I did try it in my youth nigh on to 50 years ago, found it confusing and gave it up. But I do think its valid medical uses should be legalized and so should a MILD form of the drug for recreatinoal use. It is one of God's gifts.

QUOTE Given these connotations, Christians should be cautious about using marijuana. Marijuana is associated with vice and unseemly activity. Christians are called to be above reproach, "without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation," shining "as lights in the world" (Phil. 2:15, ESV). We are told to "not be conformed to this world" (Rom. 12:2) and to "walk properly as in the daytime," avoiding sins of addiction such as drinking and partying (Rom. 13:13). In 1 Peter 2:11-12, Peter urges Christians to "abstain from the passions of the flesh" and to keep their conduct honorable, so unbelievers "may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation."

The issue is not the relative danger of marijuana itself; it is about witness. If Christians use marijuana as a medical aid, it should be done in a quiet, private manner, without flaunting. Christians must be mindful of pot's controversial and hazardous reputation in culture, and be sensitive to the perspectives of both other Christians and unbelieving observers. Christians should take note of the food offered to idols issue in 1 Corinthians 8-10 and strive to abstain from arguably innocuous activities that are nevertheless contested in culture. It is not worth offending or making someone stumble. UNQUOTE

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011...juana.html
Now, if marijuana was associated with avoiding glaucoma surgery or opiate addiction in cancer patients, it might have a better profile in pop culture, yes?
(01-21-2012, 06:03 PM)su Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 05:54 PM)tmw89 Wrote:

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are low class.

They are/were greedy, hostile to technology, and restrictive.

Having a lot of money is not high class.

Strange.  I always associated more money = more class in America, as we do not have an aristocracy per se...

It depends on the ends for which they are used. I don't smoke pot and never have, but I think it's possible that alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana can all be used for virtuous ends.