Are You an Unconscious Modernist?
That is, are you a Modernist who's sleeping? Just kidding!

But have you ever thought about the ways in which you might have unconsciously imbibed of that horrific poison we know as Modernism? I like to think of myself as a traditionalist, but it's probably true that I unwittingly hold some Modernist positions. For instance, do I believe that there are multiple Isaiahs, that Daniel was written a hundred years later than it claims, or that Paul didn't write the Pastoral epistles? Or, do I believe that assistance at the Novus Ordo vs. the traditional Mass is simply a matter of preference? All this could be just the tip of the iceberg. I might be a full-blown Modernist and not even know it! Which reminds me:

O horror, horror, horror! Tongue nor heart
Cannot conceive nor name thee!

-Shakespeare, Macbeth

Who among us is untainted by this blasted age?

I'm Alphonsus Jr.

Saint Jerome didn't think the second and third letters of John were written by Saint John or that Moses composed the book of Deuteronomy. 

Modernist of the 4th century! 
Is it truly modernist to think that book dedicated to Isaiah's ministry and prophecy could've been written by someone chronicling him, since he was a tad busy? :) Anyway, the phrase "Lord God of Hosts" disappears about a third of a way in. That's interesting, very interesting... it would be more Modernist to assume that God changed so He was no longer the Lord God of Hosts, or that Isaiah forgot his signature phrase, than it would be to say that Isaiah was written by different schools.
I think it is a good question. But, getting into whether who wrote what in the Bible, though interesting, does not make one a modernist, IMHO.

And to tell the truth, I don't care who wrote what. I choose to just read it, understand it is Sacred and Cannonical Scripture. Because, if I start going down that avenue, I may be taking the more scholarly approach rather than trying to understand it on the level it is inteneded. But, each to his own, and I certainly have no issue from one seeking that knowledge and understanding it on multiple levels.

However, I believe that moderism is so pervasive, that even the staunchest traditionalists are tainted and corrupted by it. And that converstaion can be interesting.

It may explain some of the bickering here as well as the unsettling of our souls on a certain level. An unsettling that is quite often undetected.

I would describe myself as a recovering modernist.

It has taken me to this point to begin to understand the concept of how seriously misguided I have been.  The biggest lie of modernism is actually as old as the hills - namely, that everything is fate, and by extension, traditionalism cannot prevail.  This teaches people to fear far more than the "superstitions" of the priests ever did.  We are taught to fear having large families, for fear of poverty, to fear demanding the Latin mass, for fear of offending the bishops and priests, to fear condemning heresy and perversion , for fear of social stigma.  To salve the spiritual desolation of this litany of fear, we are offered the palliative of holding "enlightened" views, some of which you mentioned.  If we adopt them, the seducers suggest, we may vicariously take part in the march of destiny.  Naturally, they do not mention that the destination is hell.

Fortunately, there are antidotes to the disease.  First among them is to take in the traditional sacraments as often as possible.  Pray the traditional prayers.   Draw strength from like minded people - and a great vehicle for this is provided right here.  Keep informed.  These things all develop the critical sensibility needed to discern the ubiquitous lies of contemporary society, cleverly concealed, like Mary Poppins' medicine, with spoonfuls of sugar.  

I was raised a twisted modernist-protestant-medjugorite in a sick catechetical age of my childhood and youth.

The poison has created a caustic formula of doubt, division of doctrine, and confusion that infects my mind and soul.
(01-21-2012, 10:12 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I was raised a twisted modernist-protestant-medjugorite in a sick catechetical age of my childhood and youth.

The poison has created a caustic formula of doubt, division of doctrine, and confusion that infects my mind and soul.

Horrible. I think God has to have some special mercy for us, living in this age of unprecedented corruption as we do. We need this mercy so very much!

You probably already know of all these things, but may I make a few suggestions? I'll venture to do so.

1) Peace of Soul, by Bp. Fulton Sheen

2) Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart, by Rev. Jacques Philippe

3) Light and Peace, R. P. Quadrupani

Also, it would be very profitable go to audiosancto.org, type this word in the search box, and then listen: PEACE

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum!

(01-21-2012, 10:12 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I was raised a twisted modernist-protestant-medjugorite in a sick catechetical age of my childhood and youth.

Hang in there, brother. I deal with the same problems, but make sure to say prayers before going to bed, and get to Mass on Sunday.
(01-21-2012, 09:51 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Saint Jerome didn't think the second and third letters of John were written by Saint John or that Moses composed the book of Deuteronomy. 

Moreover, Saint Jerome had the temerity to point to errors in Holy Scripture!

[Image: screq.jpg]

Is there no end to his proto-modernism?!
(01-21-2012, 10:17 PM)Marc Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 09:51 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Saint Jerome didn't think the second and third letters of John were written by Saint John or that Moses composed the book of Deuteronomy. 

Moreover, Saint Jerome had the temerity to point to errors in Holy Scripture!

[Image: screq.jpg]

Is there no end to his proto-modernism?!

Clearly the Vulgate was the Trojan Horse that allowed modernism to enter the Church.  The modernist started planning Vatican II not centuries ago, but millenniums ago! 

On a more serious note, how did Jerome reconcile this mistake? If I remember Augustine correctly he stated while the Bible is the inspired word of God when it comes to "facts" it's not always correct, but this in no way impacts belief or inspiration. Was that Jerome's take?