Are You an Unconscious Modernist?
(01-21-2012, 10:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: On a more serious note, how did Jerome reconcile this mistake? If I remember Augustine correctly he stated while the Bible is the inspired word of God when it comes to "facts" it's not always correct, but this in no way impacts belief or inspiration. Was that Jerome's take?

I could be wrong about this, but Jerome seems to shift the burden of inspiration to the direct dictation of the Apostle Peter, while chalking up the error to a failure of transcription on the part of Mark
(01-21-2012, 10:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: f I remember Augustine correctly he stated while the Bible is the inspired word of God when it comes to "facts" it's not always correct, but this in no way impacts belief or inspiration.

Such an interpretation of Augustine doesn't seem to be consistent with Providentissimus Deus. I guess Augustine could have just been wrong on this point, but the CDF, in the the Doctrinal Commentary on the Concluding Formula of the Professio Fidei, states that the "the absence of error in the inspired sacred texts" is a divinely revealed dogma.
(01-21-2012, 10:48 PM)Marc Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: On a more serious note, how did Jerome reconcile this mistake? If I remember Augustine correctly he stated while the Bible is the inspired word of God when it comes to "facts" it's not always correct, but this in no way impacts belief or inspiration. Was that Jerome's take?

I could be wrong about this, but Jerome seems to shift the burden of inspiration to the direct dictation of the Apostle Peter, while chalking up the error to a failure of transcription on the part of Mark

That seems rather unsatisfactory. 
(01-21-2012, 10:56 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: f I remember Augustine correctly he stated while the Bible is the inspired word of God when it comes to "facts" it's not always correct, but this in no way impacts belief or inspiration.

Such an interpretation of Augustine doesn't seem to be consistent with Providentissimus Deus. I guess Augustine could have just been wrong on this point, but the CDF, in the the Doctrinal Commentary on the Concluding Formula of the Professio Fidei, states that the "the absence of error in the inspired sacred texts" is a divinely revealed dogma.

Well, how do you reconcile the synoptics describing Christ's crucifixion on passover and John saying it happened the day before the passover? Or Mark's misquote from Isiah? 
(01-21-2012, 10:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:17 PM)Marc Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 09:51 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Saint Jerome didn't think the second and third letters of John were written by Saint John or that Moses composed the book of Deuteronomy. 

Modernist of the 4th century! 

Moreover, Saint Jerome had the temerity to point to errors in Holy Scripture!

[Image: screq.jpg]

Is there no end to his proto-modernism?!

Clearly the Vulgate was the Trojan Horse that allowed modernism to enter the Church.  The modernist started planning Vatican II not centuries ago, but millenniums ago! 

Someone1776, I have kindly and repeatedly asked you to stop mocking. It wreaks of a superiority complex that misrepresents you. This particular scoff is based upon an analogy I used to try to clarify something that you were not understanding.

I don't care what you think of me, but please respect me enough to keep your mockery of me somewhere I can't see it.
(01-21-2012, 11:30 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: This particular scoff is based upon an analogy I used to try to clarify something that you were not understanding.

I don't care what you think of me, but please respect me enough to keep your mockery of me somewhere I can't see it.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wasn't thinking of you at all.  Scout's honor.  I wasn't aware you having a trademark on Trojan horses.

Now that I think about it I think about I know what you are talking about, but I really wasn't thinking of that when I wrote it. Maybe subconsciously it affected me, but I swear it wasn't meant to be a slight at you. 

I was just building off Marc's joke.  I really don't sit around all day thinking of ways to mock you. 
(01-21-2012, 11:34 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 11:30 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: This particular scoff is based upon an analogy I used to try to clarify something that you were not understanding.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wasn't thinking of you at all.  Scout's honor.  I wasn't aware you having a trademark on Trojan horses.

:LOL:
Quote:Now that I think about it I think about I know what you are talking about, but I really wasn't thinking of that when I wrote it. Maybe subconsciously it affected me, but I swear it wasn't meant to be a slight at you. 

O.K., but I have asked you to stop mocking in general. There are legitimate and sincere ways of making points; condescension doesn't have to be one of them.
Quote:I was just building off Marc's joke.  I really don't sit around all day thinking of ways to mock you. 

Well, not me personally, but people with whom you disagree in general. I'm not the only one who has noticed. It makes you look bad. Why do you do it?
(01-21-2012, 11:54 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

Quote:Now that I think about it I think about I know what you are talking about, but I really wasn't thinking of that when I wrote it. Maybe subconsciously it affected me, but I swear it wasn't meant to be a slight at you. 

O.K., but I have asked you to stop mocking in general. There are legitimate and sincere ways of making points; condescension doesn't have to be one of them.
Quote:I was just building off Marc's joke.  I really don't sit around all day thinking of ways to mock you. 

Well, not me personally, but people with whom you disagree in general. I'm not the only one who has noticed. It makes you look bad. Why do you do it?

I don't think sarcasm is always mocking.  I suppose we could say this is a flaw of mine, and I will try to work on coming across as less rude in the future, although no doubt I will fail. 
(01-21-2012, 11:55 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 11:54 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:

I don't think sarcasm is always mocking.  I suppose we could say this is a flaw of mine, and I will try to work on coming across as less rude in the future, although no doubt I will fail. 

There are just so many better ways for you to make your points rather than ridiculing your opposition, as though your perception of it as ludicrous is enough to refute it.

It's just a dodge, nothing more. But you seem to think it evidences the correctness of your position.
(01-21-2012, 10:12 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I was raised a twisted modernist-protestant-medjugorite in a sick catechetical age of my childhood and youth.

The poison has created a caustic formula of doubt, division of doctrine, and confusion that infects my mind and soul.

I came to Tradition very recently and find myself having to re-evaluate everything that I learnt as a NO catholic in the past 18 years. The one good thing, by the grace of God, is that I rejected Medjugorje many years ago already. I was very involved in this deception so it was a big step to change my mind about it .