Are You an Unconscious Modernist?
(01-25-2012, 02:06 AM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 12:28 AM)Silouan Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 09:04 AM)TrentCath Wrote: Most of the people I know are unconscious modernists, there's a pretty easy to find out, simply ask them about 'The social reign of Our Lord Jesus Christ', if this  ???  is their response

???

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius11/P11PRIMA.HTM

Thanks  :)
(01-24-2012, 03:23 PM)SimplyCatholic Wrote: One of the first things for someone trying to purge themselves of modernism is to look up The Syllabus of Errors.  It's on FE somewhere.  I think several of the popes have said it's "synthesis of all heresies" or something very similar.  Anyway, look at its result compared to all previous heresies.

While I strongly suggest reading the Syllabus of Errors, it was written before the rise of modernism and does not address it. Lamentabile Sane, The Syllabus Condemning the Errors of the Modernists, of St Pius X does.

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10lamen.htm
And note that modernism is anti-religion in general, not just Catholicism.

Quote:And now, can anybody who takes a survey of the whole system be surprised that We should define it as the synthesis of all heresies? Were one to attempt the task of collecting together all the errors that have been broached against the faith and to concentrate the sap and substance of them all into one, he could not better succeed than the Modernists have done. Nay, they have done more than this, for, as we have already intimated, their system means the destruction not of the Catholic religion alone but of all religion.

And the causes according to Pius X:
Quote:That the proximate and immediate cause consists in a perversion of the mind cannot be open to doubt. The remote causes seem to us to be reduced to two: curiosity and pride.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x...is_en.html
Pope St. Pius X, Lamentabili Sane:

Therefore, after a very diligent investigation and consultation with the Reverend Consultors, the Most Eminent and Reverend Lord Cardinals, the General Inquisitors in matters of faith and morals have judged the following propositions to be condemned and proscribed. In fact, by this general decree, they are condemned and proscribed.

9. They display excessive simplicity or ignorance who believe that God is really the author of the Sacred Scriptures.

11. Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.

I urge all readers to study the whole list of condemned Modernist propositions. You'll likely find that you're not untainted by Modernism. Go here:

(01-25-2012, 06:50 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Pope St. Pius X, Lamentabili Sane:

Therefore, after a very diligent investigation and consultation with the Reverend Consultors, the Most Eminent and Reverend Lord Cardinals, the General Inquisitors in matters of faith and morals have judged the following propositions to be condemned and proscribed. In fact, by this general decree, they are condemned and proscribed.

9. They display excessive simplicity or ignorance who believe that God is really the author of the Sacred Scriptures.

11. Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.

I urge all readers to study the whole list of condemned Modernist propositions. You'll likely find that you're not untainted by Modernism. Go here:

Thanks, I shall definitely look this up!
Was talking to two of my Catholic friends today and they both espoused Modernism without even realising it  :(
(01-27-2012, 09:21 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Was talking to two of my Catholic friends today and they both espoused Modernism without even realising it  :(

What did they say?
(01-25-2012, 06:50 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote: Pope St. Pius X, Lamentabili Sane:I urge all readers to study the whole list of condemned Modernist propositions. You'll likely find that you're not untainted by Modernism.

One of the most prevelent modernist errors I encountered at CAF was the notion that the authors of the biblical books did not write truth, but rather wrote what they believed would edify the reader.  Hence, many Catholics do not believe the accounts of Christ's birth, or Jonah, or the stories from Genesis.  They believe these things are "inspired fiction," and that they are similar to the parables of Christ.

(01-27-2012, 09:27 PM)alphonsusjr Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 09:21 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Was talking to two of my Catholic friends today and they both espoused Modernism without even realising it  :(

What did they say?

The death penalty is wrong because the current pope says so, the last pope doesn't matter as it was a long time ago and besides the church changes i.e over time, although one at least understand the importance of the changes of the 60's though perhaps not accurately 'before the 60's I would have been taught to hate jews...'. Not entirely accurate  :P