help wanted: Catholic apologists
the excerpt reminded me of a certain theme of candyland catholics.
(01-22-2012, 05:55 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: the excerpt reminded me of a certain theme of candyland catholics.

How so?
(01-22-2012, 05:57 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 05:55 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: the excerpt reminded me of a certain theme of candyland catholics.

How so?
nieve theism
I didnt say it was an exact match
(01-22-2012, 03:08 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 12:27 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 12:20 AM)Doce Me Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 10:11 PM)Warrenton Wrote: The call is being put out by Legionaries of Christ professor Rev. Thomas D. Williams. 

Does anyone share the thought that Father Williams might commence his search in the "aquarium"?

I don't suppose they would want SSPXers.

Well, it does say Catholic apologists. Bp Williamson would do a great job, as would, for example, Fr. Joseph Pfeiffer.
THIS.

BTW, Fry and Hitchens did beat Cardinal Arinze. What would anyone expect?  Arinze (at the time) was very outspoken against the TLM.
If they were to have gone against a Bishop Williamson, Cardinal Burke or Bishop Athanasius Schneider, the atheists would have been wiped out.
Here is a snippet of what Card. Arinze said about the people that requested the TLM back.

Cardinal Arinze seems to be warming up to the TLM these days.  :)

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/201...-usus.html
I never watched the whole Hitchens/Fry debate because basically they were permitted to lie, yet nobody ever called them on it. Fry's entire opening about St. Thomas More and people being executed because they had Bibles in English was ridiculous.
(01-22-2012, 03:08 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: BTW, Fry and Hitchens did beat Cardinal Arinze. What would anyone expect?  Arinze (at the time) was very outspoken against the TLM.

To be fair, I'm no fan of Cardinal Arinze, but he was not the clergyman that Fry and Laurie...er..Hitchens debated.  It was an African archbishop who did not have the greatest command of English.

Arinze is too high up in the heirarachy, too unwilling to listen to opinions contrary to his own and too aware of the risks to his reputation to engage in an actual debate. 

You would sooner see the Holy Father himself participate in one of these debates than Card. Arinze.
(01-23-2012, 10:28 AM)Gerard Wrote: but he was not the clergyman that Fry and Laurie...er..Hitchens debated.

I say, Jeeves!  :LOL:
(01-23-2012, 10:28 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 03:08 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: BTW, Fry and Hitchens did beat Cardinal Arinze. What would anyone expect?  Arinze (at the time) was very outspoken against the TLM.
Arinze is too high up in the heirarachy, too unwilling to listen to opinions contrary to his own and too aware of the risks to his reputation to engage in an actual debate. 

Wait, I don't know much about Cardinal Arinze, but aren't people saying that he has changed his position on the TLM? If so, it would seem reasonable to conclude that he probably does listen to opinions contrary to his own on at least some issues. 
(01-22-2012, 10:58 PM)McNider Wrote: I never watched the whole Hitchens/Fry debate because basically they were permitted to lie, yet nobody ever called them on it. Fry's entire opening about St. Thomas More and people being executed because they had Bibles in English was ridiculous.
This

I'm certainly a rank amateur here, but I can't help but think of two, aside from St. Thomas Aquinas, for my dream team, at least among the living: Cardinal Burke, and Robert Sungenis. Either way, you're right, McNider. It does not seem that the debate was a proper one, in the regard.
(01-23-2012, 06:36 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Wait, I don't know much about Cardinal Arinze, but aren't people saying that he has changed his position on the TLM? If so, it would seem reasonable to conclude that he probably does listen to opinions contrary to his own on at least some issues. 

Perhaps. Considering what he's said before, I am not going to automatically think he's changed his position. So, I don't know his motivations for saying the Old Mass. It could be the Holy Father told him to start saying it.