My views on Judaism
Recently someone claimed that my views on Judaism show that I am not really Catholic.  This person would not stand behind his comments or explain what he meant, so he should probably be ignored.  I'm wondering if anyone else thinks there is something wrong with my views on Judaism.
What are your views? There is no salvation through Judaism (a heresy taught by evangelicals).
Explain your views in detail, Jayne.
Judaism is not a saving religion.  Jews, like anyone else, must accept Christ as Lord and Saviour in order to be saved.  Salvation is through faith in Christ, being in the Catholic Church.

I have in other posts described my strong objections to the Good Friday prayer for the Jews used in the Novus Ordo.  It makes it sound like it is not necessary to pray for the conversion of Jews.  I believe that praying for the conversion of Jews is very important.

I think that the Jews before Christ were God's people.  Since Christ, those who accept Him are their spiritual descendents.  People who reject Christ are the spiritual descendents of the Jews who rejected Christ.  I do not think that Jewish bloodlines are especially relevant anymore, only faith in Christ.

I believe that conversions of individual Jews are rare in the current situation (but nevertheless should be prayed for) but, in the end times, they will be brought to Christ as a people.
(01-22-2012, 01:00 PM)JayneK Wrote: Judaism is not a saving religion.  Jews, like anyone else, must accept Christ as Lord and Saviour in order to be saved.  Salvation is through faith in Christ, being in the Catholic Church.

I have in other posts described my strong objections to the Good Friday prayer for the Jews used in the Novus Ordo.  It makes it sound like it is not necessary to pray for the conversion of Jews.  I believe that praying for the conversion of Jews is very important.

I think that the Jews before Christ were God's people.  Since Christ, those who accept Him are their spiritual descendents.  People who reject Christ are the spiritual descendents of the Jews who rejected Christ.  I do not think that Jewish bloodlines are especially relevant anymore, only faith in Christ.

I believe that conversions of individual Jews are rare in the current situation (but nevertheless should be prayed for) but, in the end times, they will be brought to Christ as a people.
Sounds completely orthodox and solid to me. ???
(01-22-2012, 01:05 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Sounds completely orthodox and solid to me. ???

I hadn't said any of this in that particular thread.  He may have been responding to my claim that "despising Jews is not a central tenet of Catholicism."  Does anyone  think that is a problematic statement?
Your opinions are, in MY opinion, absolutely solid and orthodox. As to despising 'Jews' being a central tenet of Catholicism, I would say that any despising of individuals because of their religion is is sinful. I despise Rabbinic Judaism as a false religion inspired by Satan, just as I despise the religion of the paedophile (my swine dung be upon him) for the same reason, but I do not despise individual Jews and Muslims for their religion.
(01-22-2012, 02:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Your opinions are, in MY opinion, absolutely solid and orthodox. As to despising 'Jews' being a central tenet of Catholicism, I would say that any despising of individuals because of their religion is is sinful. I despise Rabbinic Judaism as a false religion inspired by Satan, just as I despise the religion of the paedophile (my swine dung be upon him) for the same reason, but I do not despise individual Jews and Muslims for their religion.
this exactly.
(01-22-2012, 01:05 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Sounds completely orthodox and solid to me. ???

Me too.

Jayne Wrote:He may have been responding to my claim that "despising Jews is not a central tenet of Catholicism."  Does anyone  think that is a problematic statement?

He may have formed his opinion (that despising Jews is okay) based on the writings of some of the Church Fathers, especially St. John Chrysostom, which, admittedly, sound harsh to modern ears. But St. John's statements are expressions of theological outrage, not of racism or antisemitism. Some people choose to ignore that. 

Beyond that, for others you will be a "crypto Jew" if you merely challenge their choice of words, if you don't join them in their derision, if you take offense at their little bites like saying "Jewy Seinfeld" instead of Jerry Seinfeld. -- and the like.  Once I was called a "Jew-lover" because I said I wouldn't mind it if this subforum was closed.
The problem is thinking we must depise the Jews. That is a real problem.

tim