Great Documentary on obscene art prices, Compelling meditation on the wealthy
Today at Liturgy we heard the Gospel about the Rich Man and Jesus, and the camel through the eye etc......(eastern rite calendar of Readings)
And then I found and watched the following Documentary:

http://www.shortform.com/oceanguy/thedoc...-paintings

I was at the same time amazed and revolted, fascinated and angered. What do you think?
I think I don't have but hardly nothing. Just a few good 'ole union made Yankee mobiles(1992 F150 and newer Jeep Grand Cherokee), a cache of babied firearms, a computer, and two little yapass dogs, but I am striving day by day to gain priceless treasures in Heaven. I think I'm good. The rich can be. Just don't tread on me.
Will watch later tonight.

BTW, how close are the Eastern Calendar's readings and the traditional Latin rite's? I have never been to an Eastern Rite Liturgy.
(01-22-2012, 06:22 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Will watch later tonight.

BTW, how close are the Eastern Calendar's readings and the traditional Latin rite's? I have never been to an Eastern Rite Liturgy.
I really dont know if there is a difference at all, I just put that in case my Roman Rite brothers got confused if they are different. I actually dont have a roman calender to compare it to.

Of course Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
I wonder how seriously we have to take that.
(01-23-2012, 01:20 AM)richness of tradition Wrote: Of course Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
I wonder how seriously we have to take that.
Well I thought the documentary shed some light on this
(01-22-2012, 04:08 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Today at Liturgy we heard the Gospel about the Rich Man and Jesus, and the camel through the eye etc......(eastern rite calendar of Readings)
And then I found and watched the following Documentary:

http://www.shortform.com/oceanguy/thedoc...-paintings

I was at the same time amazed and revolted, fascinated and angered. What do you think?

Would you have a world without such expensive paintings?
Thats the point what makes them valuable. The rubens masterpieces make sense...but the dispicable picassos? A painting of a white stripe between two reddish ones? Or how about a childrens inflateable swim toy filled with firewood?(yes its in the documentary) Are the valuable because rockafeller was stupid enough to buy it? And then some other rich ass just had to have it no matter what it cost? This is the central theme of tye film.
Have you ever heard of Burn a Million Quid?

These Brits formed a band and made millions in the 80s/90s. They took out 1 million pounds sterling and literally burned all of it in a fireplace.

I had to watch it in a postmodernist humanities class. Its nonsense.
(01-23-2012, 03:28 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Thats the point what makes them valuable. The rubens masterpieces make sense...but the dispicable picassos? A painting of a white stripe between two reddish ones? Or how about a childrens inflateable swim toy filled with firewood?(yes its in the documentary) Are the valuable because rockafeller was stupid enough to buy it? And then some other rich ass just had to have it no matter what it cost? This is the central theme of tye film.

They're as valuable as people are willing to pay for them.

I agree with you that Picasso's supreme artistry was in fact con-artistry.

Do you hate the rich? How many rich people do you know?