Great Documentary on obscene art prices, Compelling meditation on the wealthy
Evil is sterile and dead.
(01-23-2012, 08:17 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Yeah and then the corrupt local philadelphian political whores violated Mr Barnes final will and testament by claiming some bogus "community (COMMUNIST) rights". That was a travesty...wasnt there a great documentary on the Barns bonfire of the vanities?

The day Barnes died, Walter Annenberg started a campaign to crack open Barnes' collection and destroy his school. The documentary is called "The Art of the Steal." 

(01-23-2012, 11:29 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 08:17 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Yeah and then the corrupt local philadelphian political whores violated Mr Barnes final will and testament by claiming some bogus "community (COMMUNIST) rights". That was a travesty...wasnt there a great documentary on the Barns bonfire of the vanities?

The day Barnes died, Walter Annenberg started a campaign to crack open Barnes' collection and destroy his school. The documentary is called "The Art of the Steal." 

Yes Mr Annenberg is the kind of rich person I do despise (And that still doesnt make a marxist). But the whole system was corrupt. This was Mr Barns last will and testament. They should have  taken this to the SCOTUS
WHAT  a conspiracy? Shocked no way? Better not tell matthew talbot.
I think Spengler made an interesting point when he noted that there is always an esoteric and exoteric dimension to Western art. According to him, the artist does not limit himself to merely replicating what has been done before and what can easily be understood and appreciated by the layman, but instead constantly moves into new forms. Many of those who rightly criticize modern art can sometimes forget this and wish for artists to go back to producing art that mimics the classical, baroque, or romantic. What I think critics of contemporary art really need to is to revive a Christian Platonist view of art and restore a sense of the importance and necessity of artistic tradition. In this way, art can continue to develop, but along sound principles that properly value beauty, and its relation to truth and goodness, and what has come before.
(01-24-2012, 12:52 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I think Spengler made an interesting point when he noted that there is always an esoteric and exoteric dimension to Western art. According to him, the artist does not limit himself to merely replicating what has been done before and what can easily be understood and appreciated by the layman, but instead constantly moves into new forms. Many of those who rightly criticize modern art can sometimes forget this and wish for artists to go back to producing art that mimics the classical, baroque, or romantic. What I think critics of contemporary art really need to is to revive a Christian Platonist view of art and restore a sense of the importance and necessity of artistic tradition. In this way, art can continue to develop, but along sound principles that properly value beauty, and its relation to truth and goodness, and what has come before.
I dont mind new art.....but it must actually require artisan skills beyond bovine excrement extrapolation Eye-roll
(01-22-2012, 04:08 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Today at Liturgy we heard the Gospel about the Rich Man and Jesus, and the camel through the eye etc......(eastern rite calendar of Readings)
And then I found and watched the following Documentary:

http://www.shortform.com/oceanguy/thedoc...-paintings

I was at the same time amazed and revolted, fascinated and angered. What do you think?

Peter Paul Ruben's work is excellent.  Roscoe's is junk.  Those camels that buy and sell art are going to have a hard time.  I don't like abstract "art" at all.  Although I do have a "white center" by MacDonell that I'll let go for cheap. lol
(01-24-2012, 01:42 AM)mikemac Wrote: Peter Paul Ruben's work is excellent.  Roscoe's is junk.  Those camels that buy and sell art are going to have a hard time.  I don't like abstract "art" at all.  Although I do have a "white center" by MacDonell that I'll let go for cheap. lol

Don't fall for the "categories" that the art community puts on things.  All paintings are abstract.  They call it "abstract" because it's such an impoverished piece of....work....that it would pale in comparison with other paintings that are decoratively and illustratively superior. 
(01-24-2012, 12:21 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: WHAT  a conspiracy? Shocked no way? Better not tell matthew talbot.

LOL

I only believe in conspiracies I can personally verify. Like my socks and car keys getting taken by elves who live under the floorboards of our house...
(01-24-2012, 01:38 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 12:21 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: WHAT  a conspiracy? Shocked no way? Better not tell matthew talbot.

LOL

I only believe in conspiracies I can personally verify. Like my socks and car keys getting taken by elves who live under the floorboards of our house...
DUDE Shocked That just happened yesterday to my wifes cellphone....we cannot find that damn thing!